Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:40 am  Post subject: IGNs updated: 100 Greatest Games of all time

Site Admin
http://top100.ign.com/2005/index.html

Number 2 damn it :matrix: Not only that its the wrong one, Link to the Past is better and that got 11! Actually OoT should be number 2, and link to the past no1 :lolL

Glad Pirates! got high, its always overlooked so i'm happy it made it onto some 'critics' list.

To be honest, most of the titles are out of whack, i can't agree with most of their choices (at least not the ordering anyway)... i mean look where AOE2 is! That piece of crap Halo got higher than RE4 (imo, cos there's more xbox editors than gamecube ones ;) )

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:45 am  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
#20 Ms Pacman, wtf.

#63 Sonic the Hedgehog original. This game seriously cost me a fair whack of my life, even to the point of playing for (can't remember) hours straight while recording straight to VHS to later send to Computer and Video Games magazine - top scores thing. They never did publish my score, which went beyond 999999 or whatever until it zeroed again. There was a section where you had to travel underwater and some dodgy coding meant you could pick up 2 lives, losing one or something like that. Whatever it did, looping through that section umpteen times allowed you to build up a massive life collection and complete the game. Bitchiest part was that gem collecting thing inbetween. Damn you, C+VG,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:50 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Went first to see the top 10 , to check it's validity ...

:moon: 3 mario games in top 5 .... :moon:

stopped reading right there...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:26 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
1) erm... there's only two mario games in the top 5 :lol:
3) I guess you can tell why they've picked em:
Super Mario 64 = best 3d platformer
Super Mario Bros = biggest selling game for about 10 years

I'd not have picked bros, 64 and Super Mario World = imo best 2d platformer, doubt they'd be in my top 5 though, but its pretty hard not to put them at least one in the top ten unless your a serious fanboy and hate the company that much.

There's some series nintendo ownage on that list :lol: But imo, the order is completely wrong, not really the placement... that's ign for you, half the editors are incompetant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:53 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
For me, it would be a toss up between 'Zelda - Link to the past' and 'Super Metroid' both on the SNES, as the best games ever.

got them both on my PC with an emulator an play through them from time to time.

MR WHO!?
GAS MAN, GAS MAN, GAS MAN!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:13 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
i was never down with the metroid. I recognise it as a great game, but i never really was that fond of it it. Same goes for the gcn version.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:29 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
i think zelda and metriod are basically the same idea, kill bad guys (and a boss every so oftan) & collect things. very simple & not overly complicated, thats why there such brilliant games. i had a ps2 for a while, i still havent found any moden games which can match the playability. i did like resident evil 2 PS2/PC though, the best zombie game to date (not counting 'zombies ate my neighbours' for the SNES of course!)

MR WHO!?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:06 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
nintendo only do simple games, but as long as they play completely differently though. I mean whilst they are both very simple, they are also completely different. Its like mario, that's the dumbest of the lot but it really doesn't seem much at all like metriod gameplay wise, even though at first glance they might be.

I have to say pirates! is a great game, glad that got high up the list.

Resident Evil 4 blows RE2 out of the water, you need to take a look :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:33 pm  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
where the hell are Monkey Island I + II?!? These two are still the best adventure games ever, imo. (well, at least of the ones i know...)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:20 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
wtf,this list stinks
although there's a good game here and there,there's almost no coinups

good ol' fun stuff like twin cobra,crime fighters,gauntlet or the gradius/salamander series

peeps used to put their last nickle in those things just to get their initials on the screen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:24 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
where the hell are Monkey Island I + II?!? These two are still the best adventure games ever, imo. (well, at least of the ones i know...)

I liked Indy & the Fate of Atlantis :) Your right, the pc got totally shunned.

BTW, a game that always appears on these lists but imo is totally gash: halo! What's the deal with that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:22 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
System Shock2 at 41 - that takes the piss.

Doom at 38 - takes the piss even more - there wouldn't be a PC game industry if it wasn't for Doom.

Half Life is better than the entire top 10.

And Dungeon Keeper2 isn't even on the list - that is staggering - also no Tomb Raider - the first one was a great game.

In fact all of those should have been top10.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:07 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
System shock was good but there's 30-40 better games... sounds right

HL is no where near as good as any of the zeldas, half the marios, pirates!, etc. It was good, but its not that good

Dungeon Keeper 2 is amazing, i too can't beleive it was not on.

Tomb Raider is a big piece of shit and i wouldn't place it in my top 1000. Totally shite.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:46 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
You didn't like Tomb Raider1 - granted the follow ups where pants - the original was a great game - patched to run in 3D on a Matrox Mystique was an event.

Haven't played any Zeldas or Marios - never owned a Nintendo of any kind - but Half Life rules - still great now - back then it was in a class of it's own.

System Shock never played - but System Shock2 has to be close to being the best PC game ver written - how the hell they went bust I will never know.

Dungeon Keeper2 as you say is close to perfection - and I really hate those Command and Conquer type RTS games - I can't play them - this one got it just right.

System Shock3 and Dungeon Keeper3 should really have been made. Actually System Shock3 is being made - but they no longer have the right to the System Shock name - so it has a different name that I can't remember - same team that wrote the other two though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:36 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
the original was a great game

The original was crap, uninspiring and unoriginal. It got the lime light and i really can't fathom why. There were way better games out, its just cos the main character was female and had triangular tits... its amazing, it doesn't seem to matter to anyone apart from me that she handled like a milk float, the game is totally boring to play and gameplay is crap. I love action-adventure games (which tomb raider sadly is - a bit more platformy though) but that game was utter pants, one of my most loathed and hated games. It was a piece of crap on the pc, and it was a bigger piece of crap on the psx. :lol: I'm not only amazed, i'm astounded by the comment it deserves anywhere near the top 10, its not even deserving of the top 100, it would be very, very low... and for the record, the sequels were just as lame as the original.

But then again, you not own a nintendo? There's the problem right there then, no standards :lol:

Quote:
Dungeon Keeper2 as you say is close to perfection - and I really hate those Command and Conquer type RTS games - I can't play them - this one got it just right.

IMO That seems to be pushing it, its not perfect, not by a long way, but its very good. Regarding RTS, Rome Total War is better, so is Age of Empires II.

SS2 is good, but the pc has had far better games, a fair few of them. And throw in the consoles, its luckily it managed to get that high... but the ign editors have omitted so many games that deserver higher placement too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:29 pm  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
i pretty much share spud's oppinion about tombraider. at first i was interested in the story and so on. but as soon as i started playing i realized that the handling was total crap. so i gave up playing after about half an hour and never laid a finger on any tombraider again.

it's pretty much the same with monkey island IV. all in all it's great but i just can't cope with controlling the character. this single element makes the whole game so bad i could puke... :matrix:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:47 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
anyone know if RE4 is out for the PC? can only find GC & PS2 reviews on the net. i found this link:

ed2k: Pc%20Game%20-%20Resident%20Evil%204%20-%20Outbreak%20-%20Eng%20-%20Visit%20Emulefutter.rar  [2.98 Gb] [Stats]
THIS IS A FAKE (Its a VCD of 'New York Minute' movie)

accoring to its ED2K history it's not been renamed? anyone got this or know anything?

MR WHO!?

Last edited by See No Evil on Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:31 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
As far as i know "RE4" and "RE:Outbreak" are two different games. I think none of them had a PC release. Only 1, 2 and 3 but could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:19 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
RE: Survivor and RE: Outbreak are spinoffs, not proper RE titles.

PS2 reviews are fake i think, unless they've got a really, really advance copy. Its not out for some months.

ATM it is only available on the gamecube. Given the control scheme i'll be surprised if the PS2 version is even remotely as good as the gamecube version, but we'll see.

PC only has 1-3, that's right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:56 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
you're right spud, the RE4 link is a fake, VCD of 'New York Minute'.

i d/l RE3, but is so riddled with bugs i couldn't play it. running XP there seemed to be one problem after another so i gave up. i don't know! releasing games so unstable that there not even worth stealing!?

i still think RE2 is one of the best zombie games out there though.

MR WHO!?