Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:44 am  Post subject: Slow Burn speed to avoid skipping

Dead But Dreaming
Howdy! I'm a little new here so forgive me if this topic has been aproached before. Has anyone noticed that if your burn speed is too high while creating a DVD that you get a lot of skipping towards the latter parts of the film? I usually burn at 2.4X (max) to avoid such problems. I don't know if that I am using cheap media or perhaps my burner sucks. I've got an Optorite DD0201 using HP 8X DVD+R (single layer) media. I'm just curious to see if anybody else has run into this skipping problem. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:43 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I have had that problem before. For instance the discs will play fine on my PC, but my player will get skipping towards the end (the outer edge of the disc). It is poor media, I think, which may have to do with the speed too. 2 years ago I bought 2 100 Spindles of cheap dvds and the first 40 dvd (video) I burned did that. They worked ok for data, a couple duds. I have never heard of that burner before, is it a crap-o brand? HP discs are fine IME, so check into the burner. Do some Nero drive tests with it (it could be lame software too).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:16 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
I've written this a few times, but its to do with the quality of the media and the quality of your burner and its ability to write to particular media.

When you burn at 8x, it actually doesn't burn at 8x, it burns at 2x, then 4x then 6x then 8x. The problem may arise at the last jump, the imperfections arise not during a level burn, but during the jump, the buffers and the quality degrade.

I have some DVD-rs that are a bit ropey at 8x, but i found its the last jump that does it, so if i burn at 6x it gives a really nice quality burn.

Automatically selecting the lowest burn speed isn't actually what's needed, and can infact be worse, I know that many burners aren't very good at slow speeds. So you can try a burn speed test in nero tools and look at the quality of the graph, or you can try a couple of notches below the maximum rated speed.

There's another thing about the top burn speed, often you can burn quicker at the lower speed than the top speed, since there's a lot of idling and what not when it makes the final jump. 8x takes pretty much the same time as 6x.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:07 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
GrindCallus wrote:
I have had that problem before. For instance the discs will play fine on my PC, but my player will get skipping towards the end (the outer edge of the disc). It is poor media, I think, which may have to do with the speed too. 2 years ago I bought 2 100 Spindles of cheap dvds and the first 40 dvd (video) I burned did that. They worked ok for data, a couple duds. I have never heard of that burner before, is it a crap-o brand? HP discs are fine IME, so check into the burner. Do some Nero drive tests with it (it could be lame software too).

Well, I've had the burner for a year and beside this little hic-up, it seems to have been a good burner. on DVDRhelp.com, it got decent peer reviews. Since I have lowered the speed to 2.4X it seems to be working fine. I don't mass produce DVDs so I really don't care if it takes and extra 15 mins to burn. I just thought it was a little wierd. Also of note, I use DVDSanta for burning and when I select 1X it really does burn at 2.4X. I think spudthedestoyer may have answered the reason why in his post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:21 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I burn 16x with my LG burner on verbatim DVD
8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:42 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Automatically selecting the lowest burn speed isn't actually what's needed, and can infact be worse, I know that many burners aren't very good at slow speeds. So you can try a burn speed test in nero tools and look at the quality of the graph, or you can try a couple of notches below the maximum rated speed.

Well, I was able to run Nero speed cd/dvd. Although I can't say I know what the graph is supposed to mean:

Here's the rest of the results:

Nero CD Speed Test results

General Information

Operating System Windows XP
Drive OPTORITEDVD RW DD0201
Firmware Version 2.60
Serial Number
Disc DVD+R
Capacity 3.37 GB

Transfer Rate

Start 3.93x
End 4.03x
Average 4.00x
Type CLV

Seek Times

Random 137 ms
1/3 117 ms
Full 252 ms

CPU Usage

1X 8 %
2X 15 %
4X 30 %
8X 100 %

Interface

Burst Rate 903 KB/sec

Spin Up/Down Times

Spin Up Time 2.06 sec
Spin Down Time 3.42 sec

Load/Eject Times

Load Time 0.00 sec
Eject Time 1.75 sec
Recognition Time 15.19 sec

Log

Time Elapsed Action
[14:06:00] Error - MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY CLOSED (023A01)
[14:08:40] Starting Transfer Rate Test
[14:19:32] 10:52 Speed:4 X CLV (4.00 X average)
[14:19:32] Starting Seek Times Test
[14:19:46] Random Seek: 137 ms
[14:19:58] 1/3 Seek: 117 ms
[14:20:23] 0:51 Full Seek: 252 ms
[14:20:23] Starting CPU Usage Test
[14:20:38] CPU usage at 1X: 8 %
[14:20:54] CPU usage at 2X: 15 %
[14:21:10] CPU usage at 4X: 30 %
[14:21:40] 1:17 CPU usage at 8X: 100 %
[14:21:40] Starting Burst Rate Test
[14:21:57] 0:17 Interface burst rate: 1 MB/sec (903 KB/sec)
[14:21:57] Starting Spin-Up/Down Test
[14:22:03] Spin-up time: 2.06 seconds
[14:22:17] 0:19 Spin-down time: 3.42 seconds
[14:22:17] Starting Load/Eject Test
[14:22:18] Eject time: 1.75 seconds
[14:22:18] Load time: 0.00 seconds
[14:22:34] 0:17 Recognition time: 15.19 seconds

------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, if you see anything that looks way outa whack, feel free to comment. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:53 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Truba wrote:
I burn 16x with my LG burner on verbatim DVD
8)

Another thing I just thought of: Do you burn your AVIs straight to a disk (i.e. have a DIVX compatable player) or do you convert (re-encode) the AVIs to MPGs and burn them that way? If I had a DIVX player, I would, but I don't... :( On the plus side, I kinda like making DVD menus. It alows for a bit of creativity.

Anyway, going back on topic, I was thinking that if the AVIs are smaller and take up less space on the disk then maybe you could burn at higher speeds without getting errors on the burn.... Well, that sounds kinda thin doesn't it? :shadey:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:09 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
8X 100 %

That seems high to me, and is IMHO the problem (or at least symptomatic of the problem)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:50 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
PC_Arcade wrote:
Quote:
8X 100 %

That seems high to me, and is IMHO the problem (or at least symptomatic of the problem)

Yeah, I'm a little confused on that one myself. It may be an error based on the media is 8X but the burner itself only supports 4X dvd burning speeds. But then again I really have no basis of comparison to determine if an Athlon XP 2600 would not handle 8X burnings.