Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:26 am  Post subject: TV Capture Card Recommendations

The Ancient One
So my Kworld DVB-T PI610 has died... it records like a bag of shit, either out of sync badly or choppy.

I've looked into Hauppauge who bought the pinnacle hardware & this is most likely what I'll end up buying as I'm short of funds right now.

What I'm looking for is something like the PVR-150 that supports 3rd party software to capture like:
Quote:
Compatible with third party applications like BeyondTV, SageTV and Showshifter for watching and recording TV on your PC

I have no idea if these programs are any good as all I had with this card was HyperMediaCenter.

Also I've seen there are some newer cards by the same company like the WinTV HVR1100 & HVR1300 but they dont state compatibility with anything 3rd party & I'd prefer a card that I can choose a different software if I dont like the one that comes with it.

So basically, what is your card? what software do you use & why?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:14 am  Post subject: Re: TV Capture Card Recommendations

The Ancient One
You should really have a look here: http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards (you can select the features you need and search by that)

The cards usually work best with the software that comes with them. Why do you want to use a third party software? Are you using Linux?

I have a Haupauge WinTV-PVR USB 2 with a built in hardware MPEG-2 encoder. I use the application that comes with it. I tried a few other applications but were not satisfied with them. The best was maybe ChrisTV. That one has a lot of configuration features.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 pm  Post subject: Re: TV Capture Card Recommendations

The Devil, Probably
I have a Pinnacle PCTV Pro PCI card. It works very well and I use VirtualDub to record mostly SatRips, but it works great for VHSrips too.
I don't like the application supplied with the card, because it looks like shit and often freezes for no particular reason.

Not sure if it actually helps, but here is a survey I did on this very site: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18959
Maybe you find some useful information there.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:14 pm  Post subject: Re: TV Capture Card Recommendations

Dead But Dreaming
I have a Hauppage PVR 150 and it works just fine for what I want it to do. I mainly
just use it as a DVR to record TV shows. I originally got it to back up VHS tapes to
DVD (the card captures straight to D1 mpeg) which was fine for awhile but I kinda got tired
of doing that. The only thing I wish is that it had an option to capture to AVI which
is what I now much rather prefer. Meh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:46 pm  Post subject: Re: TV Capture Card Recommendations

The Ancient One
Elchup, you said in RedVeils thread that you didnt like the quality it captures at. Do you still feel the same?
RV, Pinnacle no longer make capture cards, so thats not an option.
Oberon, from what I read the PVR-150 has been replaced with the HVR1600.
It would seem that the best card for me to buy on my low budget is a Hauppage one with hardware encoding built into the card.
Elchup, your card is USB2 & states clearly that to rip at its best has to be plugged into a USB2 socket. Do you ever get frame drop?
I'm looking at an internal PCI card, do these run faster than USB2? <-might be a daft question but nevermind :shadey:

Thanks for the input fellas :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:43 pm  Post subject: Re: TV Capture Card Recommendations

The Ancient One
The picture is a bit blured, that's what I don't like about it.

I neved had frame drops when capturing.

PCI is about four times faster than USB2. You should consider a PCI express card when buying a HD card.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:13 am  Post subject: Re: TV Capture Card Recommendations
OK. I'm looking for an internal Capture Card that accepts HD signal.
I currently pay for a bunch of HD channels from the cable company, and decided I would like to record a few things once in a while, like sports games, etc. I DO NOT WANT TO RENT A DVR FROM THE CABLE COMPANY!
Now the scenario...
I have a 40" 1080p LCD TV that receives the signal from the digital cable box via hdmi. I want to be able to continue watching TV on it, while I'm recording another show on the PC via the capture card. The capture card absolutely has to record in 1080i, which is what my cable company broadcasts my HD channels in.
I'm not sure how to connect this, and after reading several different pages on the web I've noticed a lot of outdated and conflicting information, which has only made me more confused.
I am using an nVidia 9800GTX+, and would really like to avoid replacing it with an AVIVO card just to record TV once in a while.
So would the cable signal from the wall go directly to the capture card?
Or would it first go to the cable box, and then through an output of some sort (preferably HDMI) to the capture card?
As far as I know, to get 1080i/1080p, the signal would have to be carried through DVI
or HDMI. Do they make capture cards with an HDMI input
? If not, do digital cable boxes
output more than one signal at a time, so that I could have the signal going to the tuner/capture card with one cable, and the lcdtv with the other cable?
Another thing I don't understand is that most of the tuner cards I've found state "OTA (over-the-air) Recording". Is this OTA recording also true for the capture cards? I dont' need a tuner, I pay a lot for good cable. I only need a way to record and edit the tv from my cable box to my PC. When I insert my digital cable into the tuner or capture card, will it record? Or will they only record OTA transmissions?
Also, if anyone is familiar with Justin.tv, how could I broadcast things to a private audience? Would I need a tuner card, or just a capture card?
Do capture cards broadcast, or just record?
I know I have a lot of questions. But after reading on the subject for hours, I have been unable to come to any real conclusions. Hopefully you guys here can help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:28 pm  Post subject: Re: TV Capture Card Recommendations

The Devil, Probably
you would need another hd box (extra $10 a month maybe) and a DVI capture card, I almost sure HDMI won't allow capturing (could be wrong or outdated info).