Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

Master Of The Dead Donkey
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I want a NAS but not sure if i should buy or make... i want to run couchpotato, sabnzbd, sickbeard on it.

Ready to use NAS are damn sexy and convenient, but building your own NAS is so much cheaper. Dunno how much you need, but take a look at the HP ProLiant MicroServer. It's small and you can usually get it at low prices (for example in England for £115 if you are lucky to get some HP rebate). Buy an LSI SAS card, a few extra HDDs (it has 4 bays) and install the OS of your choice. With enough RAM and ZFS you can get speeds around 80MB/s which is plenty even for streaming untouched Blurays.

http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/technology/ ... me-server/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:51 am  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

Site Admin
Quote:
Buy an LSI SAS card

Is this to extend it beyond the native RAID 0/1 only options or is this to extend it to fit more than 4 drives in? How do you fit more drives in it, seems pretty small or do you punch a hole in the case?

I was looking at Synology because of their hybrid raid but that HP ProLiant looks pretty cool and economical.

I basically want to put in, lots of 3TB hdd, and run sickbeard, sabnzbd and coachpotatoe so it may be an option being a small pc essentially.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

Master Of The Dead Donkey
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Is this to extend it beyond the native RAID 0/1 only options

Yep, that's why I suggested it.

I don't know if 4 HDD bays are enough for you, but other than that it would be great for your fileserver/sickbeard/sabnzbd/coachpotato needs.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

Site Admin
I was looking at those SAS cards but they are damn expensive, kind of blows the budget.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91750
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489

I think there might be some more ecomonical / powerful solutions in there.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:52 am  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

Site Admin
I've decided to build out a new htpc;
Code:
OCZ SSD interno Agility 3 Series - 60 GB    57,62 € IVA inc         1    57,62 € IVA inc
Advance Torre PC Mini ITX 3905B - Color negro    44,83 € IVA inc         1    44,83 € IVA inc
Kingston memoria 2 GB DIMM SO de 204 patillas DDR3    29 € IVA inc         2    58 € IVA inc
ASUSTEK ASUS AT5IONT-I DELUXE    195,31 € IVA inc         1    195,31 € IVA inc

Was thinking quite a bit about the setup, wasn't sure to get the ION2 based motherboard given the issues with needing SO DIMM, etc.

This is to replace my acer revo. The acer revo is actually not in any way bad, there's only two videos it can't play in the years i've been using it.
1080p version of "The Crazies" original
Monty.Python.and.the.Holy.Grail.1974.1080p.BluRay.x264-AMIABLE.mkv
Both have the same problem, they play but the video is in a low framerate / fps, as if in slow motion.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

Site Admin
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I've decided to build out a new htpc;
Code:
OCZ SSD interno Agility 3 Series - 60 GB    57,62 € IVA inc         1    57,62 € IVA inc
Advance Torre PC Mini ITX 3905B - Color negro    44,83 € IVA inc         1    44,83 € IVA inc
Kingston memoria 2 GB DIMM SO de 204 patillas DDR3    29 € IVA inc         2    58 € IVA inc
ASUSTEK ASUS AT5IONT-I DELUXE    195,31 € IVA inc         1    195,31 € IVA inc

Was thinking quite a bit about the setup, wasn't sure to get the ION2 based motherboard given the issues with needing SO DIMM, etc.

This is to replace my acer revo. The acer revo is actually not in any way bad, there's only two videos it can't play in the years i've been using it.
1080p version of "The Crazies" original
Monty.Python.and.the.Holy.Grail.1974.1080p.BluRay.x264-AMIABLE.mkv
Both have the same problem, they play but the video is in a low framerate / fps, as if in slow motion.

and confirmed, Monty Python now plays perfectly. I've ordered some better powerline and gigabit switches to upgrade my network.

Next project is going to be build a nas, I just remembered i have a Thecus n5200 pro; not sure if there's an upgrade to move that to supporting 3TB hdds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 am  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

The Ancient One
Another idea: you could combine your WDTV (or similar device) with a PlexTV PX-612U [1] DVD drive which can simulate a hard disc. It means that your WDTV will recognize DVDs as hard discs and will be able to play movies from them.

[1] http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/De ... wsId=33564

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:54 am  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

The Devil, Probably
I almost bought a Asrock ION 330, but someone beat me to it. Combining a mediaplayer with a PlexTV PX-612U would be a good alternative IMO

Gonna look into it some more :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:45 am  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

Site Admin
elchupacabra wrote:
Another idea: you could combine your WDTV (or similar device) with a PlexTV PX-612U [1] DVD drive which can simulate a hard disc. It means that your WDTV will recognize DVDs as hard discs and will be able to play movies from them.

[1] http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/De ... wsId=33564

Hate optical disk based media (from cdr to bluray) personally, I'm on hdd... won't go back to burning!

I'm going to split my thread into 2, I have a totally silent, ie. zero fans or moving parts based pc, can decode and play all hd content I can throw at it, including the two files that wouldn't play on my older gen intel atom (1080p Monty Python and The Crazies both stuttered). XBMC eden is by far the best thing for media. I've got a slimline bluray player but I don't have the slimline SATA plug yet so its not on there. That's a caveat for my old dvd collection.

I finished(ing) my NAS build out, over gigabit ethernet I can stream 1080p without buffering. The NAS is intel atom, 8x SATA (1 parity, 1 cache, 4x 3 TB, 2x 2 TB) drive that I intend to run sabnzbd/couchpotato/sickbeard on. I'm just migrating from my older Acer Revo media player which i used as storage to the dedicated NAS now.

Intel Atom fanless with some good air flow is the way to go, in spain its now reaching 38C outside, and these players are slogging away all day within operating temperature.

My older acer revo was having problems with the fan getting clogged, hdds running extremely hot and as i mentioned there were a few performance issues.

Lastly, I'm using ethernet over coaxial to avoid running wires over the house and it performs better than powerline.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:00 am  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Hate optical disk based media (from cdr to bluray) personally, I'm on hdd... won't go back to burning!

I understand. You don't have to. My point was only that this DVD drive can be connected to a media player that can only read external hdds. So you can play your commercial DVDs with it too. There is no need for an additional DVD player.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:47 am  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

The Ancient One
What is your opinion on the Ouya console? They announced to work with XBMC [1]. So it should make a nice alternative.

[1] http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... sts/283033

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Media Player - 1080p mkv, etc.

Site Admin
Honestly, i think it will struggle with 1080p. I've got a tengra 3 tablet.

not a power house.