Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:41 am  Post subject: Xbox Games - Recommendations?

Site Admin
Any more game recommendations?
I enjoyed Fable very much (those studios are very talented, maybe their games aren't 100% successful, but they are certainly extremely unique and original.), its perhaps lacking the brilliance of zelda's learning curve, and drops you right in it with too many controls, and there's one or two nasty bugs, weak controls (stealth with clicking and moving the analogue = bad), etc. Enjoyed it very much though as I mentioned

Big action adventure fan, zelda, RE4, Omikron: Nomad Soul, etc. Not so big on mana building, but like big open games.

My xbox came with:
  • Full Spectrum Warrior - Quite neat but i didn't get into it
  • Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick - Could have been great but they just didn't seem to care about gameplay or the environments very much. Hopefully the sequel will solve these problems:
    http://www.dead-donkey.com/modules/news/index.php?id=16
  • Fight Club -erm, don't think they've watched the film :lol: Don't like beat em ups, this ones really bland
  • England football - Restricitve and crappy version of fifa
  • Halo - Pure shite, overrated and really not very good.
  • Max Payne 2 - poor on the xbox, pointless since i have already played the pc version

I've downloaded:
  • Fable - See above, its a great game. My quarms are, kind of restrictive in the worlds (not really open, but set path based), poor controls in part (liked the expression and magic though), a bit poor on the learning curve. Could solve a lot of these problems by looking at zelda!
  • Fifa Street - I actually quite like this, its a bit more of an arcadey game.
  • Destroy All Humans - Really quite fun, but small environments and a tad samey gameplay spoils it a bit. can't wait for the film. With a budget behind it, it should be a far better film than Mars Attacks!
  • GTA:SA - Way lamer than the PC version.
  • Burnout 3 - Quite fun, but i prefer Camargeddon style games. Or open driving games... gonna try midtown madness.
  • Pirates! - Maybe i was in a hurry but, erm... where does it tell you the controls, i couldn't find a single mention of how to do things i know i should be able to do from playing the pc version. Gonna have to replay it when i've got time.

So that's what i've got and played. i really enjoyed fable... i doubt there's anything like it given who made it and how much effort went into it, but i'd appreciate any recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:44 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Pirates! - Maybe i was in a hurry but, erm... where does it tell you the controls, i couldn't find a single mention of how to do things i know i should be able to do from playing the pc version. Gonna have to replay it when i've got time.

Press Back and the control info pops up. Been playing this myself it's just as I remember the original I had on the Amiga.

Just downloaded Medal Of Honor European Assault, not played it yet but have played most of them since the first on the PS.

Downloaded Cricket 2005 but haven't got any cd/rw to write it to, and probably never will as I've got Brian Lara Cricket for the PS2.

Also Snooker 2005 which has much better ball control than the others in the series I've played.

I'd also be interested in what everyone else is playing.

Blood Of The Werewolf
Rock 'n' Roll Frankenstein - Screenshots - Release Thread
The Dirty Mind Of Young Sally - Screenshots - Release Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:10 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Not a huge sports fan here, you might have guessed i like arcadey or ones that are all about fun. Simulations get... well i'd rather play the real game instead of a sim.

thx for the pirates! controls tip, the pc just told you what they were :lol:

As for moh, i've played the moh games on the pc so its like a major step down. I have real problems playing a fps after i've played it on the pc, you sacrifice so much control that you just get fustrated at how bad it is really fast... or maybe its just me? :lol:

I downloaded halo2... i know the first one is totally shit, but it was free so i might as well try it... who knows, they may have decided to make it good. I can't believe all those 10/10 scores it gets in review, its retarded :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:10 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
I don't play much but Morrowind, Fable, Ninja Gaiden, GTA series, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantom Dust, Star Wars: KoToR I enjoyed quite a lot.

[edit]I quite like the Halo games too. Played and enjoyed Brothers in Arms too, and not to forget emulated SNES RPG's.[/edit]

Last edited by D. on Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:13 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
Star Wars: KoToR

I played that on the pc and it sucked, but i think it was the sloppy controls. Its downloading though already.

Fable is awesome as said, might try morrowind if its anything like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:17 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
Morrowind is much more traditional. Quite a slow game, have to walk around a lot, talk a lot, search a lot. I like the exploration aspect. Played it on PC first but i thought it was too slow for PC. I need to sit back and relax t enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:23 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
I like the exploration aspect.

I like big open games (hence: Zelda), but there needs to be some kind of point. Is there a good storyline?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:36 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
There certainly is a good storyline in my opinion. There really is a lot to discover about the history of the fantasy land you're roaming around in too but it needs a load of reading. It doesn't look too fancy (okay, it looks nice for the time it got released on PC but old nowadays) and it's got some bugs etc. It's nothing like Zelda really (although i love Zelda games too).
I don't think it's a game for everybody. It has it's mistakes (quite a lot of 'em) and you need some time to try things out and sort out how everything works. A bit inaccessible i believe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:45 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
ai, but fable's a bit inaccessible at first too. It sounds like it deserves a shot :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:27 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
Just started downloading this

http://www.sega.com/gamesite/otogi2/content.html

Seen some video footage and looks good, got good reviews at IGN 8.3 for the first and 8.4 for number 2.

Blood Of The Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:29 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
looks a bit rpgy, will check it out though...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:35 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
Have you tried Second Sight?

Played & completed it on PS2. Nice game, with a good story and of course the use of mind powers (astral projection, telekinisis), made by the guys who made the Timesplitters Series.

Blood Of The Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:39 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
the games i have played the most would be

Burnout 3
Full spectrum warrior
Greg Hastings tournament paintball,which i'm just setting up kai x-link to see if any bugger is playing online (so if anyone wants a game you know how to get one ;) )

just started playing MOH European assault,destroy all humans and star wars 3 sith game or whatever it's called :wacky:

gonna give forza a go soon as it's s'posed to be the tits but i don't think i'll like it as much as Burnout 3 :)

Last edited by Bassline on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:47 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
Bassline wrote:
just started playing MOH European assault

Just started this myself last night did the first 2 missions, I know Spud doesn't like control for FPS on console but I think this controls fine.

Will have to try online gaming as soon as I put another network card in my PC.

Burnout 3 is a class game got it on PS2 though, may have to dig it out for a game later.

Blood Of The Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:52 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
oh and i forgot i like playing another paintball game called Gotcha! which can also be played online with kai(me wants a game online :P) but single player does seem to lag a bit while splatting the hell out of the AI so not sure how that would be with kai :wacky:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
I know Spud doesn't like control for FPS on console but I think this controls fine.

Playable okay, but fine, no, its counterproductive in 9times outta 10 and everytime in comparison to the pc versions. yeah fine is just pointing in the genreal direction of something and it autoaims?? That's so lame it makes me want to cry :lol:

They might be acceptable, but its way too charitable to suggest you won't get beaten by a 5 year old playing a pc version of the same games when it comes to fps, so i really don't see the point of a dumbed down version of a game that spoils the gameplay.

They are wide-side-of-the-barn accurate, they aint fine i assure you. Get a better pc and you'll see what i mean in these games :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:25 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
Sorry Spud should have been more clear, I'm in total agreement with you on PC v's Console controls on FPS. I've played many in my time, and PC wins hands down every time.

But I think that all the MOH games on the Ps & PS2 have had excellent control systems, no autoaim well not on on the control settings I choose (3rd person games always have this on consoles though). I think where a console comes out on top is the controls for duck, jump etc. I use cursor keys for my movement on PC (habit from my Amstrad days) and sometimes trying to hit the button for crouch can be a pain in the arse.

I've got a high end PC myself, although the only FPS I've been playing recently is Far Cry.

Blood Of The Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:45 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
urrghh cursor keys, no wonder...

Ctrl = crouch, space = jump and then shift = run, way better. Mouse owns.

I got one of these for the pc btw:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... t=nostromo
Owns.

HL2 is way better than Far Cry btw ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:29 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
spudthedestroyer wrote:
urrghh cursor keys, no wonder...

Yeah I know but I've been using these for 20 years, hard to break the habit of a lifetime.

Seen those nostromo things in PCGamer a while ago, nice bit of kit for serious PC gamer.

Saw HL2 for ?14 at Game the other day, but didn't get it don't know why. I enjoyed the first, got it free with my Voodoo 2 graphics card. Needed 24mb of ram to run but it chugged along on my old 233MMX with 16mb.

Blood Of The Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:53 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
woohooo gotta love kai!....just been playing some greg hastings paintball with 5 others (3 on 3)...mad fun.....i think i may have to get one of those headsets now as it could help a bit with teamwork :beerchug: