Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:21 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Had a friend over, so watched this:

Behind Convent Walls - director is Polish, but it's an Italian movie, a classic example of 70s nunsploitation: in a convent (which resembles the convent from "Images from a Convent" by D'Amato) the mother superior is watching over her nuns who are constantly being seduced by the outside world in the shape of men visiting the convent. Of course there is sex, with and without the men and past halftime there is even an attempt at making a storyline with high clergy coming to the convent because of a murdercase. This gives some original twist to this otherwise pretty mediocre nunsploitation. Had fun watching the creative ways of the nuns to get what they want though. Recommended for Italo fans.

Evil Judgment - a young girl gets into trouble when her boyfriend doesn't tolerate her passing time with a hooker any longer and he kicks her out. She seeks refuge with said hooker and of course the hooker has a job for her. They visit an old man, and together they enter his mansion but apart from the girl being super uncomfortable with the situation, there is also some other danger lurking around: a killer is on the loose, slicing throats whenever he gets the chance. The girl escapes and seeks shelter with the boyfriend who is trying to help solve the case but in turn is being judged a suspect. There is some attempt at making a sort of intelligent plot, but there are some holes which can't be plugged and the whole double identity thing is a trainwreck to be honest. Moer a thriller than a horror, this is a bad movie but not one to have a lot of fun with. I could have known because it's from Substance label, but you can't be sure until you have watched it. I'd avoid this one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:17 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Shrunken Heads - sometimes I am really in the mood for a certain type of film and this time I was in the mood for some Full Moon nonsense. So I slid this flick into the DVD player, had some good stuff on the side and sat back and relaxed while enjoying the show. It was very different from what I expected, seeing the cover and reading the title I was expecting some sort of supernatural stuff, and although it did come eventually, it took way longer than I expected. Before the supernatural started, the film was more some sort of coming of age film about three friends in their early teens being bullied by a gang in their late teens / early twenties. A salesman in the neighbourhood used to be a policeman in Haiti and he also knows his voodoo stuff so when the teens are shot dead by the gang, he brings them back to life in the form of the shrunken heads. Gifted with an ability each (one has a knife in his mouth to slit throats, one has vampire fangs and one has an electric beam coming from his head), they transform bad guys into mindless zombies who feel compelled to clean up garbage and other useful and nice stuff. Of course they will go after the gang now, and even after the big boss behind it. Typical Full Moon nonsense, with the heads pretty badly cut into the imagery, but no stop motion little monsters this time. I still had a lot of fun, so if you go in with low expectations you'll enjoy it. Bad moviefans might have fun with it too, especially in the flying heads scenes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:39 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
VFW - When I watched this, I had just come home from a metal festival and this is the perfect film to watch in such a situation. The abbreviation in the title stands for Veterans of Foregn Wars, and it's about a bar where these vets gather to tell stories of the past and have too many drinks. The vets (some oldtimers like Stephen Lang and Fred Williamson) are being confronted with a conflict outside though: a young girl runs into their bar with a bag full of drugs, belonging to a crimeboss who killed her sister. So when the minions of the crimeboss enter the bar to come and get her, the vets chime in and they blow off the head of one of them/. Turns out he is the little brother of the crimeboss, so now the game is on. Lots of violence, lots of gore and very little in depth storyline but that was just what I wanted of a movie that night. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it's not the best film I have ever seen, but my state of mind and the movie just came together at the right time. I'm sure that if you like vigilante films, or are just in for some mindless gore., then you will enjoy this too. And of course if you just came home from a metal festival, then too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:12 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Contratiempo (aka. The Invisible Guest) (2016): Spanish crime drama. A rich man wakes up inside a hotel room with a dead girl next to him. He claims to have not killed the girl but was found by the police with the room locked form the inside. While all the evidence is against him and his time is running out as the court hearing approaches he teams up with a famous lawyer and they try to reconstruct what happened that evening and who could be framing him. Lots of plot twists in this one and of course you have the biggest one at the ending. Didn't see it coming. Great movie.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:10 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
8 - aka The Soul Collector. An old man dies and his farm gets inherited by his son William and his wife Sarah, who are taking care of Mary, their niece. They soon get visited by what seems to be a local man, he calls himself Lazarus and tells them he worked for William's father and he is offering his help on the farm. Sarah is suspecting the man to be more than he tells them, but both William and Mary like him so he gets to stay in the shed on the farm. The locals don't react well to his presence though, is Sarah right about being cautious or is she overreacting? Strange things start happening and you as the viewer know why before the characters do, and in a way that is a bit of a shame because it takes away some of the suspense. It's not a groundbreaking film, but it's interesting to watch something South African made for a change. I had fun, a bit more gore and/or suspense would have been nice though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:25 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Collapse of the Living Dead - aka Collapse. A man called Robert is at the doctor, picking up his wife Molly. They recently lost their daughter, and their farming business is going badly. While Robert is trying to take care of his family, things are going from bad to worse as one of his co-workers first tells him he is gonna quit and not much later he is being attacked by a zombie. Robert's son Will is also being bitten so they take him inside to try and give him medical assistance. Robert goes into town to get help but the town is overrun by zombies, so he hauls up in their home, fighting it out with the undead hordes. There are some nice references to other zombiemovies like Night of the Living Dead: the scenes in the house reminded me of that film. Also the fact that the zombies appear out of nowhere without any explanation is pretty Romero-esque. Atmosphere is OK, acting is good and you might wonder why some characters are acting like they do in this film, but then you just have to wait until the final scenes because it has an interesting twist which explains all that. Nicely done, pretty original and also enjoyable. Recommended.