Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 156  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:46 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Richard Kern Hardcore Collection part 1 - not my kind of thing, this collection of short films and experimental stuff. The only thing I actually liked was the videoclip for Sonic Youth right at the beginning. All other stuff was too much "video-art for an exam on the academy". Mediocre to bad acting, bad camerawork, loose stories which were about nothing interesting or comnpletely vague.

Some friends were visiting to have a bad movie night. The guy picked Burial of the Rats, the girl picked The Ice Pirates and I picked Rock 'n Roll Frankenstein.

Burial of the Rats - wow, great movie! I really enjoyed this, the women's cult deep in the woods, the entry of Bram Stoker therein, the mega-fake weaponry, the corny lovestory between Bram and one of the girls. Everything was really ridiculous and therefore I enjoyed this one thoroughly.

The Ice Pirates - yay, extraterrestrial nonsense stretched to the limit. Weird gophers in the desert, space herpes which escapes on the ship, a timewarp in which everyone grows old very fast, priceless! Great fun!

Rock 'n Roll Frankenstein - put together by different parts of different rockstars, "The King" is supposed to become a superstar, but... it turns out he has a conflict over what to like sexually between his brain and his manlihood down there. This is the main storyline and it is hilarious. Quite some gore in this too, as The King need some rebuilding from time to time. Corny and funny, so bad it's good.

Zombies: The Beginning - after my friends left, I wanted to finish off with some zombie action. For some reason AV wasn't synched, but I just tried to ignore that. MAybe it was because it was late already, but I couldn't figure out why this movie was called "the beginning". There's an island and it has zombies on it. An elite military unit goes there to kill them. Actually, that's it. Some nice action, some nice gory moments, but it is not a very good zombieflick. I really liked the old-fashioned zombiemoves: slow but steady. The last few seconds are to honour Bruno Mattei. A nice zombiemovie, I have seen better, but I surely have seen worse too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:49 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Dead But Dreaming
Parts of Death Machine
The Hidden
I need to start on these Rush movies (A Man Called Rage/Rush)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Rush rocks! It has so many hilarious flaws!

Yesterday I watched:

Repo! The Genetic Opera - the story is cool, I really liked the idea of hiring organs and then repossessing them if the customers don't pay. The guy who played the graverobber did a good job. The girl who plays Shilo did a good job and she looked cute. And that's it. All else was boring, I hate musicals and although I tried, I couldn't make an exception for this one. They tried to make it like Sin City and other modern comic book films, but they failed. It was, is and will remain like this: except for Evil Dead the musical, I really, really hate musicals.

Mucha Sangre - yes, I love Spain! I love Spaniards! I love Spanish horror! A while into this movie I was asking myself: "why is this horror?" and then BAM! it happened. I understood immediately. I can't tell anything about the story or it will be a spoiler, but go watch this! It's great!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:40 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Site Admin
Agree with you on both of those, Repo! is dissapointing, and Mucha Sangre is superb. I saw the latter at a film festival a few years back and really enjoyed it.

Weird thing is I can't find mucha sangre to buy on dvd anywhere, and I live in spain!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Dead But Dreaming
Slayer wrote:

The Ice Pirates - yay, extraterrestrial nonsense stretched to the limit. Weird gophers in the desert, space herpes which escapes on the ship, a timewarp in which everyone grows old very fast, priceless! Great fun!

I was at the store this evening and flipping through a copy of Us (or People magazine, can tell which is which anymore), one of the stars they interviewed mentioned Ice Pirates. Apparently, he is some actor from High School the Musical or some teen show, I dunno, but yeah, he mentioned he saw Ice Pirates and said it was a crappy movie. I immediately thought of your post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Red Heat - actually a pretty good movie. I wasn't expecting anything because of the WIP sound to it, but the story is nice, acting is OK to good and I enjoyed it in a more classic way (ie, not in an SBiG way).

Anaconda 3: The Offspring - wow these snakes were made from bad CGI!! If you thought the bugs in They Nest were fake, or the beetles in Caved In, or the eelsnake thingy from Razorteeth, then you HAVE to watch this, as it tops them all. Wow, really bad CGI. The rest of the movie is forgettable, except of course for The Hoff, who plays an ubercool hunterdude and he does it really really Hoff-like.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:54 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Devil, Probably
There's a ShitBusters rip of Anaconda III: The Hoffspring coming soon :googley: :drunk:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:53 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
War Wolves - blegh, boring. Some of the chicks looked OK, but the story was stupid and tended more to be a vampire than a werewolf flick. The "werewolves" never looked like werewolves anyway. The rip was very, very blocky and with loads of artifacts, which didn't help either. Skip this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:32 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Skull Full Of Maggots
I watched the japanese epic "Battle Royale" for the second or third time ever today, but this time I watched the Director's Cut and I must say that I freaking love this movie! It is a movie where the bloodshed and violence just doesn't get old. It is a blast from beginning to end. :devil:

But you wanna know what's better than that I just got done watching "The Beyond" for the first time, I have been meaning to watch it for ages but just got around to watching it. And wow I love this movie... I'm gonna watch it again! :rock:

"I've never felt better wait, :vomit: okay now I've never felt better"
- Drunk Stewie from
"Family Guy- Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story"

Don't we all just feel that way sometimes when we are drunk?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:37 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - after having read this was a bummer on many forums and other sites, I expected total crap and it isn't. By far not as good as nr 1, but still enjoyable.

The People Under The Stairs - nice to see the couple from Twin Peaks together again in this Craven flick. I liked the turns the story made.

Demon Wind - bad demon stuff, can't remember a lot, as it was quite a forgettable movie.

Red Sands - dumb American soldier releases a Djinn while on duty in Iraq. Nice mixture of war and horror, the second one I have seen this year (the first being Outpost). Actually I thought this was quite good.

Let The Right One In - although I think this film was way too long and the pace is too slow in the ffirst 45 minutes, the atmosphere is nice and I really liked the ending and the final scenes. Coming of age mixed with vampirism, but not in the Ginger Snaps way. Quite original.

Cut - Kylie Minogue makes a movie which can kill people. Now a few cute students want to finish it. The masked slasher is cool, although the guessing game was a bummer.

Space Thing - alien in human form is on a mission to preserve his planet against human invasion, hut has a lot of sex instead.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:35 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Some non-horror, coincidentally all World War I movies:

The Red Baron - nice biopic of Manfred von Richthofen. The balance between battle and chivalry is depicted nicely. The massive dogfights of World War I all are made of CGI, but it's done in a way it isn't too annoying.

Broken Lullaby, the Man I Killed - no war action in this one, but a French soldier who goes to Germany to visit the family of the soldier he killed in the trenches. It's more a drama than a warmovie, but still I liked it, quite enjoyable, especially for its age (it's from 1932).

Passchendaele - two hours, one with social drama and conscription, one with action in the trenches. The action is not very typical, as there is actually some movement on the frontline here. The storyline is predictable, which is a pity. I really liked the first shot of the actionpart, as it was obviously based on a famous hitorical photograph of the batlles in Belgium.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:16 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Back to horror:

Blood Scarab - ahh, a nice B-movie to relax with. I need those from time to time. Sexy vampiress, stupid Renfield, Dracula with a very fake moustache and an Egyptian goddess to make the picture complete. I haven't even mentioned the big breasted girls then ;) The sfx are to laugh at, everything is so right in the cheesy way. I love it.

Flu Birds - mmm, bad storyline, bad cgi. Not much gore. Group of teens from juvy are in the forest when all of a sudden birdlike creatures attack them. When bitten/scratched, you're sick and gonna die. Actually, this is it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:36 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
i am watching this

Les Deux anglaises et le continent (1971)

:roll: :roll: :roll: maybe one or two more and i will see them all... Trufo is over :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: time to go for Godard Chabrol Mizoguci or Ozu :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The Severed Arm - great storyline, with a vengeful slasher with an axe! The acting i sometimes meh, but OK most of the time. I really liked the idea of this film, however, the ening was a bit disappointing.

Dr Alien - yay, another great B-movie! Again, aliens come to earth to save their own planet (if they had chosen other planets, we would miss out on tons of fun movies!) ;) :lol: ), and there are some great B-sfx to build up the story. Loved it!

Jack Brooks Monster Slayer - nice storyline about a guy with an anger problem. He is also traumatized, and as you can guess,m these two form a nice combination. This film never explains where the monsters come from, so if you're OK with that, go watch this, it's fun. Robert Englund delivers!

The Grey Knight - Civil War and zombies. OK. Well, the Civil War part was played out in a pretty cool way, the zombies however, are lame. LAME!! Even Billy Bob Thornton performs very weakly, hich should be a sign for the director/producer at the time of filming (ie: "Stop this project! Now!"). Don't watch it, unless you really, really like Civil War stuff and don't mind some bad story and stupid acting.

some non-horror:

Up In Smoke - I needed brainless film with stupid jokes so I only had to sit back, relax and laugh. And not think. Succeeded, this one is great for this purpose.

Futurama - The Beast With A Billion Backs - same recipe, a little more thinking required. Some great jokes, I still hope the other ones I have left to watch are better (they are Benders Game and Into The Wild Green Yonder).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:35 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Voskhozhdeniye / The Ascent - Russian film from 1977 depicting the struggle of partizans against the nazi oppressors. What I really enjoyed was that it didn't become a communist piece of propaganda, ie, the Russians were normal people and no heroes, the nazis weren't extraordinary beasts or something. Slow paced, lots of snow, not really spectacular but a good movie after all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:59 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Demon Of The Abyss
Slayer, you do see a lot of films, I'm impressed. And I never thanked you, but your mini-reviews are sometimes really usefull, specially to avoid the ones that suck. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Nice, thx. I use my own mini-reviews too sometimes ;) For me the ones that really suck are bad films, but not bad in a funny way, but only boring, dragging along, going nowhere. I once read on imdb a user who had some sort of signature like "watching bad movies so you don't have to". I really liked that :lol:

Oh, and yeah, I'm movie-addicted. I don't start trembling after not havoing seen a film for x hours, but still, I really really like to watch movies. I suspended it a bit a while ago because of a "new" game, but since that game is in need of an update now, I'm back to watching movies. Apart from the ones I post about I watch a lot of documentaries and some series too, with the gf (Lost, Heimat, Twin Peaks, that sort of stuff). I'm making up for missing screentime in my youth, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:41 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
To Let (2006): Nice Spanish horror. A couple wants to buy a new apartment and must deal with the psycho seller who is willing to do everything to make them stay.

Dead & Burried (1981): I heard some great things about it and that is probably why I was a bit disappointed after having watched this. The twist in the end was very predictable to me. The story was almost too simple to grab me. At least I saw Lisa Blount's tits in this one. :D

Rest In Pieces (1987): A clear B-movie. Despite that it was great. It felt like an old trashy TV movie that was sometimes unintentionally funny and that's why I enjoyed it a lot. It also has around 4 scenes in which the main heroine gets out of the bed naked to put on a bathrobe. It feels like a "deja vu". :P Slayer I think you should see this.

Outpost (2008): What can I say; Nazi Zombies... The story of this one was too flat. There is an old underground nazi test camp to build the undefeatable soldier. Some mercenaries go there to cover the magic nazi device. There was too often "FUCK" begin said and at the ending when the nazi soldiers all rise up for the final confrontation, why didn't they simply shoot every mercenary left instead of attacking them with knives? I mean, they shot before. Why not at the end? That felt quite stupid. I liked "Horrors of war" a lot better, because it has way better character development. This was quite forgettable.

Leprechaun 2 (1994): This one was better than expected. I almost dare to say that it was better than the first one. Leprechaun comes to get a bride and must fight with the girl's friend. Sounds simple but the movie has some clever twists. Great Leprechaun sequel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:23 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
elchupacabra wrote:
Slayer I think you should see this.

Thanks for the tip, I clicked it already ;)

Agree with you on To Let, disagree on Outpost ('tho you're right about the knifing). Maybe I should rewatch Horros of War, but the fakeness of the bullet impacts and other stupidites are the only thing I can remember from it now, so I'm not in a hurry there.

About Dead and Buried: I can imagine a "hype" can ruin the fun. The film is in the spotlights for some because it is a Video Nasty, but even if one's not interested in that, if you see it in its time, it's quite a good movie. And compared to other nasties it's a masterpiece ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:57 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Mmm, forgot about this for a few days.

Hood of the Living Dead - when this one started I was like "oh no, another bad attempt at making horror by our African-American friends", but all in all it wasn't THAT bad. There's some explanation on why zombies exist and I also liked the way the main character tried to keep it hidden from the public for so long. It won't last long in my memory, but still this is a nice way to pass your time.

Killer Tomatoes Eat France! - by mistake I put this on instead of part 3 which I also hadn't seen yet (yes, there really are 4 parts of this trilogy ;)). Actually this is horror for children or a good mindless laugh, depending on how you look at it. Dull jokes, cliche jokes, one very nice looking female, that's it.

The Slumber Party Massacre - I don't know, but when a slasher just kills for no apparent reason, I dig the movie he's in less well than when he has a motive. This is also the case in this movie. Still this was a nice trip back to the early 80s, when peeking through a window as a teenager was still considered naughty instead of criminally insane.

Dead Meat - yay, a nice zombieflick! Like Black Sheep, this has something to do with cattle and it is in the Irish countryside. Kind of bleak, atmosphere is good, ending acceptable. Recommended.

Dead and Gone - it took me longer than normal to get into this movie, as I didn't get why a guy would move in a cabin in the woods with his comatose wife. I mean, come on. But OK, since this is horror and all, you don't have to apply logic to your life, so... there we went: some haunting and stuff, the going mad theme was done nicely, but I still think the director failed in making the first scene, which is quite shocking, useful in the remainder of the film. Now it was just a (quite) shocking opening scene nothing more. A little more reference to the opening scne would have been great. A missed chance, shame, because this had some potential.

Rise of the Undead - a lot of first timers in this cast. Sometimes a person gets filmed and just doesn't do anything. The editor was a first timer too, I think ;) Once this gets rolling, it takes a nice pace, but then it gets ruined by some stupid dreamlike thingy idea, you know, as in everything you just saw was just a dream, haha! Blegh. Bummer. From this moment on, the movie repeats itself a little and the ending is predictable but not very annoying. If you have a choice, choose the other movie. This is only OK for a no brainer evening, or when you don't have anything else left to watch.