Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 156  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:23 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
elchupacabra wrote:
The Burrowers (2008): (...) The movie was okay, but nothing extraordinary. Some people compare this to "The Descent"; and I must say that those probably haven't seen at least one of the movies. Besides "The Descent" imho being far superior, "The Burrowers" has nothing to do with caves and the monsters are not alike.

Now I'm curious. I didn't like The Descent, and if you say it's far superior, then The Burrowers should bore me to death and beyond. Spud on the other hand thinks it's great. Now, what will I think when I have watched it? Sadly enough I don't have much time these days, although I might take some anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:39 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Cold Hearts - I can imagine why Grind got bored watching this. Still there were some aspects o this movie which were quite original, like the people who actually cared for the vampires, trying to n0ot expose them to "normal" human beings. What surprised me, was that they used The Cure music (I think it was "A Forest") and "Say Hello To Heaven" by Temple of the Dog and both went uncredited. I'm curious how the filmmakers got away with that one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:41 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Site Admin
Slayer wrote:
elchupacabra wrote:
The Burrowers (2008): (...) The movie was okay, but nothing extraordinary. Some people compare this to "The Descent"; and I must say that those probably haven't seen at least one of the movies. Besides "The Descent" imho being far superior, "The Burrowers" has nothing to do with caves and the monsters are not alike.

Now I'm curious. I didn't like The Descent, and if you say it's far superior, then The Burrowers should bore me to death and beyond. Spud on the other hand thinks it's great. Now, what will I think when I have watched it? Sadly enough I don't have much time these days, although I might take some anyway.

Its nothing much like The Descent at all, and I'd disagree and say it was probably superior to it imo. I'd rather watch The Burrowers again than The Descent again.

Frankly though, its like saying chalk is superior to cheese.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:00 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Skull Full Of Maggots
I watched a movie this last week that isn't a horror movie but was still utterly disturbing and genuinely horrific. The movie is not a new one and has been argued over for years. I consider myself a self taught student of film and I felt that to truly be a good student one must also study the controversial aspects of a subject. I had heard this movie talked and whispered about for years so finally I just said "fuck it". I went to the video store up the street discussed the film with the guy at the counter and he said "it is an experience, I will say that". So I rented the semi newly available Criterion Collection version of the movie and watched... Wow, boy, I have seen some shit in my day and this movie is definitely a new level of fucked up. It isn't very high on the graphic gore meter, some, but not enough to turn anyone another color. It is actually pretty high on the rape and depravity meter but that is a given considering its basis. But on the poop eating meter boy does this movie shine. I mean the amount of fake fecal matter plus all of the sexual torture shit make this movie far beyond normal viewing fare. This isn't a movie that was designed to be enjoyed while you watch it, in fact it exists to disturb and be a very telling piece of art. It is what it is to convey a point about humanity and the depths of depravity humans can actually sink... Of course the movie I am referring to is Pier Paolo Paoslini's much debated film "Salo, The 120 days of Sodom", it has been compared to movie such as Deodato's "Cannibal Holocaust" for years due to the fact that both films have been banned in many countries. While I find Cannibal to be an interesting and somewhat enjoyable film, I find that Salo is not. I like "Cannibal Holocaust" because it is a morality play that shows the audience that we Americans (or anyone from a first world country for that matter) can be worse monsters than the tribes that still are cannibals, in the film we (or our representatives in the film) are depicted as in fact being worse then the cannibals who exact their bloody revenge at the end. "Salo" on the other hand is the opposite of a morality play, watch not this film looking for morality because you won't find any. Morals and mercy don't exist in the world that Pasolini brings to life with this movie. This film is an utterly disturbing and haunting work of art that only needs to viewed once per lifetime to understand its actual gravity. I understand why Criterion released this... It would be a crime to let a film that has such an emotional response (negative, though it may be) slip through the cracks. So if you are looking for a film to disturb you or you are just like me and believe that to be a true critic you must watch things that other people are not willing to. Then watch this film... if not then be glad that you didn't because this is one film that you can't unwatch once you have seen it.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:19 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
I totally agree with SlowIrishBud. Salo is one of the sickest films I have ever seen in my life. It's a one-time-watch-and-never-rewatch film. Pasolini has been slated for bringing his own sexual perversion to the screen, but those who say that are only superficial and probably scared of stuff they don't know anything about. When I watched Salo, it must have been some 6 years ago, I sat with a housemate and we talked during the beginning of this movie, like we used tot alk aboiut any movie that was on in those days. While watching, our talking faded away and we stared at the sreen silently for the remainder of the movie. Impressive.

When I was away for the past few days, I watched some stuff which was a lot lighter than Salo (which isn't very difficult):

C.H.U.D. 2 Bud the Chud - somewhat childish sequel to C.H.U.D. and it has nothing to do with the original. This is more of a zombiemovie. I had some laughs, but that was it. You won't miss much not watching this one. If you're into zombies, 80s flicks or sequels, then watch it.

Gremloids - also pretty childish, this looks like a prequel to Spaceballs. It alo has a dark lord with a hat which is too big, small creatures who talk gibberish language and a princess who needs to be abducted by the dark lord. It got boring after a while, but I liked the ending, which was quite surprising. If you have kids, watch this one with them.

non-horror:

Nobody - I really liked this one. The storyline gets cut up and you only get to see a little bit of info everytime it loops. I won't tell too much about it, as I'll take away the fun. I thought the ending could have been done a little better, but the way this movie is constructed is refreshing. The subject is a package, owned by a mafia big guy in the 1920s and stolen/given away/lost. Recommended.

J'accuse - very long silent movie of epic proportions. It runs for almost 3 hours o you really need to sit down for it. It was made a year after the Great War and that war plays a big role in it, not very surprisingly. It takes about 50 minutes to get into the story because of the slow pace. Patience required. The story itself is great, I think it's the oldest antiwar movie in existence (if not, it is at least the oldest I have seen). In short: a woman is in love with a poet and married to another man. Both have to go into service when World War I breaks out. They serve in the same regiment and are both friends and rivals. The relationship between the two goes through different stages, especially when they hear the woman is caught by enemy soldiers. In the end a strong anti war message is given out to the people in the village who didn't fight in the trenches. Recommended, but you need a long breath for this one. Oh, and some basic knowledge of French (for the titlescreens within the movie) or English subs.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:40 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Mmm, I forgot one:

Land of Doom - postnuke scifi Italian 80s style flick. In the future, people heal faster, unless they're bad: then they die very quickly by simple melee contact. Numerous other laughable things and some gore make this flick what it is. Lightly enjoyable, especially for SBiG fans (although I'm sure there are cheesier ones out there).

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:13 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis - a very funny comedy about a postman who wants to trnasfer to the south, but instead get stransferred to the north, of which he thinks is a backward region with harsh living conditions. He finds out he wasn't right thinking that. While French comedy used to be very dull, this one is really funny. Recommended.

Devil Fetus - weird, but hey, it's Japanese. Some nice gore and wacko sfx make this a very nice SBiG watch. If you're not into Jap movies or into SBiG, skip this one.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:41 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Oorlogswinter (Warwinter) - traditionally we watch warmovies on the 4th of May, so I used the opportunity to watch oorlogswinter, one of the most recent utch filmproductions. I read the book it was made after when I was about ten years old, so I was curious on how it would be transported to the screen. Well, I must say, nice job. Lots of things I remembered while I was watching, there was actually only one difference: an execution was performed in a different way than described in the book. Some torylines never finish, but overall this was quite good. I believe our national filmindustry still has the flow, which started about ten years ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
La Habitación Del Niño - wow, I actually got scared a few times during this movie. Great acting, nice story, but I must say that the ending was no surprise at all. However, this gave me the creeps on a few occasions, so I'll remember this one well into the future. Recommended for all.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:21 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The look under the bed scene was awesome. It actually made my brother scream. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:36 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Nice ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:52 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Some non-horror:

Chopper - story about a not too smart criminal, who gets a huge reputation for being cruel. Out of jail, he strats out trying to have a normal life, but his schizoid mind won't leave him alone. He changes attitude within seconds, killing persons he was laughing with the minute before. It's a crime/comedy film, and the comedy part could have been done better. Some stuff is really funny, other stuff is painfully awkward (by that I mean it's obvious they troied to make it funny, and failed). Still, it's a nice passtime, but don't expect an Australian Pulp Fiction.

The Boys from Brazil - in Paraguay in the 70s, dr. Mengele and some other old nazis plan a plot for creating the Fourth Reich. A Jewish boy is on tot hem and warns a famous nazi hunter who at first doesn't feel like going into it, but in the end does so anyway. To write more about the plot would be a spoiler. The film itself is sometimes a bit dragging, the tempo could have been upped a notch for more viewing pleasure. All otgher aspects are good: the music, the cinematography, etc. When the plot unveils, it's quite surprising, although it was not totally unguessable in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:36 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
chronicles of an exorcism....oh dear oh dear oh dear.....oh why oh why oh why did i put myself through so much of a dreadful film???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:07 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Some war movies:

Operation Valkyrie (Stauffenberg) - the original, on which the Tom Cruise vehicle is based. I'm gonna watch the Cruise remake tonight or tomorrow, for comparison. I liked this one, it focuses more on the aftermath of the assault than a movie on the same subject I had seen ten years ago (that one ficused more on the familylife of Von Stauffenberg, the planning and the conspiracy). I was surprised to see only a handful of conspirators: for example, Rommel was missing. I think my preferecne goes out to the flick I saw ten years ago, as the build up in that one was better. Now hide for Tom!

Conspiracy - thinking this was also a flick on the assault on Hitler, I was surprised to see it was about the Wannsee conference. For those who don't know: that was the conferecne where the Holocaust was planned out, like in which department had to take responsibility for what task during the genocide. It was also a personal show for Reinhard Heydrich, who wanted to gain esteem from it. The film is nice, people can learn from it, but it's not historically accurate enough. But since I'm a history teacher, maybe I;m too picky.

Guns at Batasi - a film about an African country during the time of decolonisation from England. Very British movie. The story didn't appeal to me much, but the acting was great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:14 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
seed and sister act, but only because i was at my friends and she had it on, honestly :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:07 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
me and one of my gorgeous nephews were sat out the back watching wimbledon (go roddick) and listening to the ipod (introduced him to the sex pistols.then i treated us to a takeaway (no bbqs here lately sadly) and we wathed our all time fave, the exorcist. brill night :rock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:22 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
It has been almost two months since I saw any horror: the war-itch had taken 9over and was very strong during the past period of time. Now the horror/bad movie itch is reclaiming its place.

Yeti Curse Of The Snow Demon - a mix of "Alive" and a monstermovie. Nothing is very original and the CGI movements of the yeti are painful to watch. There are some laughable mistakes (brace around right leg of a guy who can barely walk after the planecrash - becomes small bandage around left leg while running uphill), but nothing special. It doesn't get to the hilarious stage. Skip this, unless you're really into yetis, footballteams or planecrashes.

Moontrap - Bruce gets to say a few cool oneliners in this scifi robotic monster flick. I liked what I saw. It wasn't (very) bad and I enjoyed the story and the robotic monsters. Of course a lot of disbelief had to be suspended, but in the end I had a nice time watching this movie. While it may not be for everyone, I still recommend this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:55 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Dead But Dreaming
ed2k: Schizophreniac.The.Whore.Mangler.avi  [599.17 Mb] [Stats]

ed2k: Schizophreniac.-.Necromaniac.avi  [699.04 Mb] [Stats]

[ Add all 2 links to your ed2k client ]

Alcohol and drugs is a real horror! RAP - Rare Amphetamine Power! PUNX - Picnic Under Niebhelm Xbox! DISCO - Dude Is So Cool Oldschool! ROCK - Revenge Of Cookie Kooks! The Dickies themes: Toxic Avenger and Killer Clowns From Outer Space. Funny playA(A)S. SPORT is dead! USA is dead! Eminem is dead! Life is dead! Dead is a full of life!
God bless all shitbusters!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:29 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
You could make screenshots and verify The Whore Mangler here > viewtopic.php?t=13791 - It's sequel hasn't got a release thread either ...hint hint ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:22 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Count Dracula's Great Love - nice atmospheric gothic horror with Paul Naschy. It has sexy looking ladies and I even git put into the wrong direction for a while (plotwise). I really liked this one. Recommended.

Awakening - meh, mediocre and amateuristic zombieflick. Again there are some survivors barricaded in, there are rivaling groups who want to escape, but without the other groups. The three groups come together in the end and some meet their demise. Nothing special. An average timekiller, but very easy to skip through. Not much to recommend.