Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:09 pm  Post subject: People with children... horror movies & kids

In Hell I Burn
Do you keep your children away from your horror movie collection? You let them watch? Wait until a certain age?
I could imagine i wouldn't let my kids watch horror until they'd be ready for it. Ready in a way that they are not as easy to influence anymore so that they aren't going to try and rip open their fellow kindergartners with a butchers knife.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:16 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I keep my 11 yo son well away from horror for now. Actually he isn't that bothered about watching any just now, but he did seem interested in watching Alien, then changed his mind - probably for the best.

However kids these days are much more accepting due to the amount they get to see from such a young age. When I was 11 a Hammer horror film scared the shit out of me. Nowadays kids will laugh at stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:25 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
My son's 9 and he's not interesed (or ready for) the horror stuff, he knows about it (and this place), but it just doesn't seem to appeal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:38 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
My kids are not allowed anywhere near my dvd collection. There are things like that a kid needs to find for themselves. If they get into it.. sure.. dear old dad can give em the hook up. But they will be at least old enough to drive before I let them have unrestricted acess.. and to be honest this is all decided by my wife anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:17 am  Post subject:

Movie Mod
I only have a 6 year old girl, and she is sometimes scared of childrens program. She is at least 10 years from unrestricted access. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:22 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
My son is 4 this year and has a curious interest in my DVDs, especially the Evil Dead 2 BOTD edition which screams when you poke its eye. :lol:

Obviously, I won't let him watch anything remotely 'horror', but he does enjoy stuff like the Spiderman movies. Although he's stopped watching part 1 because he doesn't like Green Goblin ("I'll watch it when I'm older, then I won't be scared").

I think the great thing is, he knows his own limits already. If there's something he sees, but doesn't like, he doesn't ask to see it again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:31 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I was more or less forced to watch the first Evil Dead & the like at the age of about 7 and look how I turned out :googley:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:08 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
my dad has 'introduced' me to horror when I was 8 or 10(31 atm so do the math) or something (one of the fists things I ever watched was american werewolf in london when it came out on video;I must say,a 10 year old vs that film...had nightmares for years,it really scared the shit out of me)

as for my kid;she's 2,5 so she's not interested atm,but when she gets the urge to watch that stuff,who can be a better guide than moi :wink:

at least I know what does & doesn't freak kids out (that much) from first hand experience :jesus:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:20 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
Hehe, i guess everyone does about the same eh. I was just curious about it.
My first horror movies were the Poltergeist ones that came on tv. Was about 11 at the time i think. Not too harsh stuff but it scared me nonetheless. I liked it though. After that i went on with Nightmare on Elm Street and Child's Play series. There used to be a horror movie on tv like every week then and me and the kid next door used to tape them (because they came on too late).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:12 pm  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
I like to just scare the hell out of them at an early age.
Then they're sure to stay away from the horror LOL

But truely..It is more about the sex, & nudity in many horror movies that i wouldn't like to expose them to. Even though they may have sucked mommy's boob :-P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:09 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Well, my gf has a four year old boy and a 8 year old girl. The girl watched Jaws and then the 4 year old had to. She loved it (I'm pretty sure that she'll be, at least, a casual horror fan) and he said "I'm not scared of scary movies, anymore." Now, she wants to see Deep Blue Sea (one of the tamer ones in my collection, of course), but I won't let her. Its rated 14a in this country. I figure I'll keep her about 4 years ahead of the curve, if she can handle, so she won't see that one until she's 10.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:42 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
i say start them out young cause there probly going to watch them when they get older

example = http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3263147054

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:55 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
video-man wrote:
i say start them out young cause there probly going to watch them when they get older

example = http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3263147054

Now that's funny :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:00 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
No kids yet but my wife hates horror and is paranoid and often mentions me having to do something with the dvds when (and if) we do have a kid. A few months back I picked up Scrapbook and handed it to her and asked her to read the plot description on the back of the box - she took the fucking thing away from me and I literally had to lose my temper and raise my voice to get it back 15 mins. later. I love her but those discs aint going anywhere if I ever had a kid. I will lock them up somehow if it ever becomes a problem (ie. lockup the wife and kid(s) and keep out the movies :lol: ).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:48 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Quote:
It is more about the sex, & nudity in many horror movies that i wouldn't like to expose them to.

That is so ridicules!!! People seam to think that sex and nudity is something bad and evil.. it isn't. Sex is a natural, normal and healthy thing. Violence isn't. It has always weirded me out that you can get a movie in a PG rating that has ultra violence but if you show a womans breast is is suddenly unsuitable. God forbid you show any full frontal shots of men or women.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:41 am  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
Jynks wrote:
Quote:
It is more about the sex, & nudity in many horror movies that i wouldn't like to expose them to.

That is so ridicules!!! People seam to think that sex and nudity is something bad and evil.. it isn't. Sex is a natural, normal and healthy thing. Violence isn't. It has always weirded me out that you can get a movie in a PG rating that has ultra violence but if you show a womans breast is is suddenly unsuitable. God forbid you show any full frontal shots of men or women.

Sure it's natural and healthy. But I don't want my kids to see it!! Imagine if one of the kids friends went home and said so and so's mom was letting me watch this movie with boobs in it. I don't want to have to deal with that parent. Unless they are planning on some sleaze education that is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:45 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Yeah, sex is fine when your sexually mature enough and hit pubity but you find me a single study that says it doesn't do more harm than good for seriously underaged kids and I'll buy you a coke. They generally tend to be "nein! nein!", whereas the violence and swearing ones don't come to the same conclusions all the time.

Violence and swearing is one thing, but exposure to underage sex apparantly is the most "damaging" thing apparantly. Then again, I think that's in reference to hardcore, whereas softcore really doesn't do anything.

One thing you gotta watch out for in those studies is the source of it, there's a lot of christian/government propaganda relating to child studies you've got to wade through.

Anyway, I don't have any kids, but I taped Alien off tv when I was ten, and saw Poltegeist long before that. To be honest, I was more scared of Poltegeist and Ghostbusters than i ever was by Alien. And a kid, particularly a lad, that doesn't want to watch horror is lying... there's no question about it... they probably watch your stuff when your not home. :lol: As long as the exploitation and asian extreme crap is locked away I don't particularly see a problem with it (okay maybe 18/R for ickle uns)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:22 pm  Post subject:

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
I don't have kids, but I recall from an early age being fascinated with horror and seeing them on the shelf and not being allowed to watch them (video store - my parents and nobody I'm related to were into any), except on the rare occasion I managed :). I remember the first time I saw Bad Taste, and is the earliest movie I recall making me interested in more demented shit :D (somewhere aged 8-10?).

Yeah, I got into it pretty young :). I think I would do the same - ie. have some restrictions, but if my kid was smart enough and interested, I would allow them to watch some.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:40 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
I dont have any kids yet, but was allowed by my parents to start watching selected "real" horror movies as an 11 or 12 year old. By real I mean Freddy or Jason stuff because they were "Hollywood" type horror stuff and hell, you could by a kids plastic Freddy claw in those days too. They restricted things like Texas, Evil Dead and things like that which have a level of "real-life" feel to them.

By the time kids get to be teenagers all that stuff (common video nasties) gets passed around the school yard anyway (with the exception of all the ultra-violent stuff that one has to look for to obtain). When kids are teenagers theyre probably old enough to distinguish fiction from reality...

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:08 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
ODiN wrote:
I love her but those discs aint going anywhere if I ever had a kid. I will lock them up somehow if it ever becomes a problem (ie. lockup the wife and kid(s) and keep out the movies :lol: ).
:bliss: :mrgreen: :beerchug: :lol: