Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:17 pm  Post subject: Insaniac (2002)

Dead But Dreaming
Insaniac (2002)

Plot:
Code:
A deranged woman with amnesia is hypnotised so that she may explore her own mind. While trying to recover lost memories, she finds that her mind is a nightmare landscape of violence and horror. Recollections of reality mesh with the terrifying otherworldly images, deepening the mystery of this woman's blood-soaked past.

Review:
Code:
Insaniac is the latest reissue on DVD of a classic Wicked Pixel/Sub Rosa Extreme flick and these guys certainly know how to do it right. It's always a pleasant surprise when I drop one of these puppies into my DVD player and Insaniac is certainly no exception to the rule. Insaniac turns out to be even more of a surprise as it's quite an ambitious little flick and not just your typical run of the mill exploitation quick flick cash in.

The film opens as Autumn (writer Robin Garrels) and her boyfriend Hart (Chris Grega) are hanging out at a most uneventful party. It's here that we learn of a local hoods plan to have Autumn deliver some "goods" (meaning fake drugs) for him allowing her to keep the cash while he skips town... and of course the heat as well. Autumn is blinded by her dreams of a quick move to California so it's just another case of money talks and bullshit walks. At this point your typical liner cinematic format is scrapped for a complete flashback flash forward induced frenzy. We catch up with Autumn in a mental institution where bits and pieces of her life are brought forth into the open as well as a guided (or misguided) tour into the inner psyche of this poor unfortunate girl.

Insaniac is a difficult film to classify not only in the world of cinema itself but also in the world of Sub Rosa Extreme. While the film is indeed part of the Sub Rosa Extreme line, it's very different than the other films that it joins the ranks of. Unlike the films Scrapbook or I Spit on Your Corpse I Piss on Your Grave which revel in their grotesqueness and truly aim to sicken or offend, Insaniac takes a step in a completely different direction. Yes the film does contain some harsh elements and there are some scenes of gore that could weaken one's knees, but it doesn't end there. Insaniac is more of a character study than anything else and these characters have to drive the film, which they skllfully do.

The film features fine performances from all involved and a clever story to boot, which unapologetically jumps from one reality to the next. It would be easy to dismiss a film like Insaniac at face value based on its budgetary restrictions alone, and I'm sure a lot of critics would be inclined to do so. SOV films can be hard to swallow from the get go, and with an ambitious production such as Insaniac one has to forgive and look beyond the outer shell to see what's truly happening on the inside. Given a "Hollywood sized budget" and a multimillion-dollar cast, Insaniac could be a film that would have critics foaming at the mouths (or an art house favorite). These very same critics who may be inclined to praise Insaniac as high art would probably be quick to dismiss Insaniac as it stands now as an indie SOV feature.

Insaniac will not be a film for everyone that's certainly for sure. But the patient and adventurous filmgoer should find quite a bit to like buried deep within this film. It's not straight horror, and it's certainly not exploitation for exploitation's sake. This is an ambitious film that is not to be taken lightly. Those who stick with it are most certainly to be rewarded in the end.

Image quality is about what one would expect for a production of this caliber, there's really not much one can say about a DVD transfer of an SOV production. There are only minimal amounts of artifacting present, for the most part this is a nice clean transfer.

Insaniac sports a decent stereo surround mix with mostly clear dialogue. There are a few instances (mic problems) in which dialogue becomes a bit difficult to distinguish. The score and ambient surrounds come across quite rich and full. The audio track is quite pleasing for such a low budget production.

Once again, Sub Rosa does not skimp on the extras. First up is a feature length cast and crew audio commentary with. The commentary track is very entertaining and it once again proves how much of a good time all involved evidently had while making this film. Next up is a short film entitled Lunch with Satan, also very enjoyable and it runs just under 14 minutes. Things are rounded off with a few trailers for other Sub-Rosa films as well as some standard production notes.

This is a film that is not going to satisfy the exploitation fan's dream. It's not overloaded with gratuitous anything. Insaniac is a cleverly written and executed vision. If you're able to proceed around the rough edges and make it to the milky center, you're sure to find some goodness within. There are very few indie companies that produce quality like Wicked Pixel; these guys are definitely worth checking out.

Imdb

ed2k-CD1: ed2k: Insaniac.(2002).DVDRip.EPiC.avi  [687.11 Mb] [Stats]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:03 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
i seem to already be on this one for 16 days and there are several FS. i got 79% so far

<a href="https://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=7143" target="_blank">Giallo Collection</a>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:30 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Verified.

What a bag of shite this "film" is though !