Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:14 pm  Post subject: The Roost (2005)

Buried In The Backyard
The Roost (2005)

Part of a "special" late-nite television program...Four friends on their way to a wedding find themselves marooned on a mysterious farm. Creatures of the night awaken and the undead rise, as a night of relentless horror...Begins!

Code:
Filename : The.Roost.DVDRip.XviD-BeStDivX                   
Release Date : 22/09/2006
Video Codec : XviD
Video Source : DVD Rip
Video Language : English
Video Runtime : 80 minutes
Ripper : BeStDivX
imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387549/

Thanks to BeStDivX

ed2k: The.Roost.2005.DVDRip.XviD-BeStDivX.avi  [697.91 Mb] [Stats]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:07 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
*moved*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:04 pm  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Quote:
A movie with bats in its belfry, "The Roost" celebrates and restores the 1970s B-horror pic with zero gloss and terrific, rough-hewn craft. Imagining what happens when a group of young people en route to a friend's wedding get sidetracked at a farm taken over by vampire bats, debuting helmer Ti West taps into the realist-horror spirit of mentor and exec producer Larry Fessenden, and makes a scarier pic than any by his master... Even the inevitable process of characters being picked off one by one never feels tedious thanks to smart breaks in the action --though one of them (a TV time-out) stops the movie cold.

Since the bat victims pop back to life as zombies, survivors are in a real mess. As a sly joke, Fessenden emerges at the end as a tow-truck driver who turns into bat food. A double-dose of shock effects at the close is excessive and easily trimmed.

West takes advantage of his low budget every step of the way, including a cast of mostly unknowns who never feel like they're recycling old horror chestnuts, and whose unfamiliarity only turns the suspense screws tighter.

[ http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117927 ... =1&s=h&p=0 ]

Though the premise is rough, and the acting rougher - most members of the cast improve enormously as soon as gore is substituted for dialogue - "The Roost" proceeds with such youthful enthusiasm that its rawness is more charming than annoying. (Less appealing are the television-friendly breaks that halt the action at crucial moments.) Creatively shot and framed by the cinematographer Eric Robbins, who constructs gorgeously lighted centerpieces surrounded by strips of menacing black, the movie almost overcomes its low budget and threadbare plot. Almost.

[ NYT ]

The great thing about early John Carpenter films is their purposeful, deliberate intention of setting up and paying off genuinely scary moments. Ti West’s The Roost embraces that spirit, eschewing extensive character and plot development in favor of delivering a series of scary set pieces. West, a recent film school graduate embarking on his first feature, shows an uncanny knack for camera placement, eerie and evocative lighting, and timing. In much the same way the good comedian knows how to time out a joke, West understands the nature of fright.

[ Filmcritic ]

No pooper here, move along :mrgreen:

Looks good, thanks! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:54 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
im gonna check this out before i pick it up on dvd, Thank You!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:12 pm  Post subject:

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:57 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I´ve been looking for this, thanks! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:54 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
Could be a larf this! Ta fer posting F_M! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:50 am  Post subject:

Well, this was kind of poo in a way. Self-conscious, high-octane poo to be sure. The movie happily makes no sense and its characters act so stupidly that it soon becomes creepy.

Fun and it would even be scary if you could care something about killer bats. But we will need to wait and see what this Ti West guy does next before deciding he really has a talent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:29 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I don't think it is that bad. At least not in comparison with many other junk productions here. Technically it was surprisingly good. Acting also was surprisingly good. Unfortunately the story.....Nearly invisibly thin. Too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:57 pm  Post subject:

wargand wrote:
I don't think it is that bad.

I'm not telling it was bad, mind you! I really had (mindless) fun watching it, and it seems the director and the crew had fun making it - whatever poo-factor there is, it's entirely self-conscious and probably, with that kind of budget, it's the way to go: it gives a creepy feeling to the nonsense (btw, it's just me or the beginning with the running lanes-dividing-line and the rotating bridge was just out of Carpenter's In the mouth of madness? I seem to remember a very similar scene...)

Locations were used as effectively as is humanly possible, I can't remember to have seen a creepier barn...

Yet it's gimmicky, I'm really curious to see the director working without the gimmicks and with a story :wacky:

All this said, it's well worth the download. They even thanks the reviewers in the closing credits, including the "arrow in the head" guy.