Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:48 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Some Random Dude wrote:
John_Doe wrote:
hey, how aboot a link for the first 2 then?

I second that :wacky:

Are you Canadian by any chance John Doe :P

Nope, but planning on moving there so I'm practicing. =)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:00 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
John_Doe wrote:
planning on moving there
On purpose? You have my sincerest condolences...

:P:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:04 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
well, I want to go to film school and have found that a good place to go. Still haven't found what school to aply to though...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:25 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Chadman wrote:
And they are super scary, Stromjunkie, so give them a chance.

Sorry for the delay, forgot to click the "notify me" thing. Chadman, I tried a few of those Japanese flicks but nothing kicked me really off the chair. :lol: The only exception, so far, was Suicide Club. (Okay, we don't talk here about Kurosawa's masterpieces or guys like Takeshi, just about Japanese horror movies) "The Ring" & "Organ" thrilled me that much that I fall asleep 2 times for each film on 2 different days. No exaggerating. When boredoom sets in I fall asleep, especially in winter time, LOL.

Now I'll be highlikely lynched, but who cares. Ringu is one of the most overrated horror movies I have ever heared about, and watched, so far. Really, Ringu I'll never forget, so much hype and terror ad was made for such a lame, slow, boring, bullshit movie.

Another title (from my test download of Japanese horror movies), which I can not remember anymore (god thanks;) had some kung fu crap inside. Some hysteric, waving with his hands, japanese in black leather clothes, near some river bed, performed some fight with some monster or other kind of flying opponent. I watched that one for 3 minutes and then goodby into windows' dustbin.

I'll give it a try with the very first of that series of sequels. But don't expect that I start to applaud, because I have somehow the feeling that wont happen, except, this stuff has some atmosphere, thrill or real scary mystery inside like, Suicide Club. Btw, about that movie we must talk, in some other thread...someday. And, Chadman, should I against all expectations start to love that thing incl. all the sequels, I would return and make a positive report, for sure.

I usually dislike american remakes of european movies, but when we talk about japanese horror movies, then I agree with Doc, better to wait until some american studio or low budget production made remakes out of them.

Okay guys, raise your samurai swords and make a nice oregami out of that post...don't be shy or autorestrictive ]8~)

P.S. I know about Tetsuo :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:30 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
When someone says that they don't like Asian horror it kind of confuses me. I've been a horror fan for over 20 years and I've always sought out the best films in the world. In the 70's and 80's it was Italian and American (giallo, zombies and, of course, slashers from both). In the late 80's, early 90's it was Japanese and German and some Cat 3 HK stuff (Evil Dead Trap, Buttgereit and Other far inferior countrymen). Mid to late 90's was Spanish and some American (Alex de la Iglasias, Alejandro Amenabar, Scream and to a lesser extent its rip-offs). Since then, its been all the Asian countries and a few French highlights (Miike, Nakata, Shimizu, The Eye, tons of Korean stuff, Trouble Every Day, High Tension).
Of course, all of that is my opinion based on my tastes, but it leads to a question:
If you don't like/watch Asian horror, what new horror films are you watching? Or do you, like my friend, only watch old stuff and say that everything new is crap?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:40 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
I guess it is just a matter of taste. A lot (most) of Asian horror is pure, atmospheric horror. It isn't exactly "jump a minute" and jam packed with cheap startle scares. This is exactly why I like it so much...I like to be absorbed by and scared by the story and not because a cat jumped out of the closet. If you don't like atmospheric story-driven horror or don't have the attention span to wait for the payoff, you will probably find it boring. I think the latter may be the case when I see movies being judged after only watching 3 minutes.

I have some extra Adderall...want one? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:55 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I really just want to know what people who don't like Asian horror are watching. Maybe, I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:01 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Chadman wrote:
If you don't like/watch Asian horror, what new horror films are you watching? Or do you, like my friend, only watch old stuff and say that everything new is crap?

I am not a horror movie fan in first line so I never jumped to any actual horror stream into whichever country that would lead. And, I am not against asian horror (not yet;) thatfor I have not seen many of those films, but if the ratio is to donwload 10 of them just to store 1 forever, then I think I'm in a very shitty position in that regard. To answer your question. Yes, simmilar to that what your friend said. Althought, I don't agree that ALL new horror movies are crap. Just that the majority of them really is. I need those rare nuggets ammong the usual massware and out of whatever of stream. Basicaly, I watch every crap, but I don't collect everything what I saw, especially if I did not received any kick out of it. Asian moviesand I talk only about that dozen which I saw so far seem not to attack my receptors in any way. I am not thrilled by them, I am not amazed by camera work, music, actors, cut or style, whatever. They gave me no goosebumbs. They don't even entertain me and most worst of all, I have nothing to laugh. I miss dark british humor, or, if not that then for minimal american toilet humor, but that is also hard to find inside asian horror flicks. Still, I am in search if I can find something special out of the asia horror genre, like that said Suicide Club. (Btw, mucho gracias whoever uploaded that movie) Chadman, can you recommend me please something equel to style and/or story like in Suicide Club? And something from korea? From that country I have not seen one horror movie I believe. Thx in advance. Hey, who knows perhaps I would revolt into a asian horror flicks fanatic...who knows...who knows :wink:

Okay guys, next week we'll talk about why american slasher movies from the 80's are the forelast crap :lol: (just kiddn, I am not suicidial ]8~)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:09 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Addix wrote:
I like to be absorbed by and scared by the story and not because a cat jumped out of the closet. If you don't like atmospheric story-driven horror or don't have the attention span to wait for the payoff, you will probably find it boring. I think the latter may be the case when I see movies being judged after only watching 3 minutes.

What are your favorites? Let's say, your top 10 entries for that genre / subgenre.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:23 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
For Korean, try Phone. Its from the director of Horror Game Movie/Nightmare, but is far better. It has the feel of an Argento film (Suspiria and Deep Red, so his best). Kairo is a great, very scary Japanese one. If those two and The Ju-On series don't make you an Asian horror fan, nothing will. For dark comedy, check out Save the Green Planet. That mocvie is fubar.
And, not to sound condescending, but I feel sorry for people who don't like new horror movies. Its just sad that you can't enjoy the thing that you love.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:38 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Stromjunkie wrote:
Addix wrote:
I like to be absorbed by and scared by the story and not because a cat jumped out of the closet. If you don't like atmospheric story-driven horror or don't have the attention span to wait for the payoff, you will probably find it boring. I think the latter may be the case when I see movies being judged after only watching 3 minutes.

What are your favorites? Let's say, your top 10 entries for that genre / subgenre.
In no particular order (except for the top 3)...

Ju-On (Original TV)
Kairo
A Tale of Two Sisters (Korea)
Versus
Battle Royale (not really horror...kind of in that grey area)
Cure
Ju-On: The Grudge
Ju-On 2 (TV)
Dark Water
Uzumaki
Bio Zombie (not scary, but fun as HELL)
The Eye (Thailand) - More "Americanized" than most other Asian horror. Kind of like The Sixth Sense except scary.
Phone

Honorable mention:

Kakashi
Into the Mirror (Korea)
Nightmare (Korea)

The original TV Ju-On and Kairo top my ultimate "must see Japanese Horror" list though.

Edit:
Chadman wrote:
For Korean, try Phone. Its from the director of Horror Game Movie/Nightmare, but is far better. It has the feel of an Argento film (Suspiria and Deep Red, so his best).
I forgot Phone...I've added that one to the list too.

Chadman wrote:
If those two and The Ju-On series don't make you an Asian horror fan, nothing will.
I second this statement whole heartedly. If Kairo and the Ju-On series don't do it for you, nothing will.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:21 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Okay, I'll follow what you recommend and start first with those which "must" do something to me :) Thx for all the tips & hints, great!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:35 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I've revised the subs on kloofy's and reupped them. They are also being powershared.
Ju.On.The.Grudge.2.2003.DVDRip.XviD-TLF.[kloofy].(subs.2ya.com)revised by Chadman.srt
I did it without watching the movie (didn't want to ruin it), so its mostly a grammar check. Hope they are better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:36 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Chadman wrote:
I've revised the subs on kloofy's and reupped them. They are also being powershared.
Ju.On.The.Grudge.2.2003.DVDRip.XviD-TLF.[kloofy].(subs.2ya.com)revised by Chadman.srt
I did it without watching the movie (didn't want to ruin it), so its mostly a grammar check. Hope they are better.
You are the best!! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:22 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
You might want to wait. I'm going to give them a real going through. Rev2 will be done by next week. I'll actually watch and edit the next batch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:07 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Chadman wrote:
You might want to wait. I'm going to give them a real going through. Rev2 will be done by next week. I'll actually watch and edit the next batch.
Much appreciated. I think I'll wait for Rev2 then. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:54 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Stromjunkie wrote:
Suicide Club. Btw, about that movie we must talk, in some other thread...someday.

http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... icide+club

Btw, for dark humor check out 'Monday'. It's one of the most hillarious things I've seen in a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:45 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Okay, my text about Suicide Club is in work :)

"Monday"? Can't find that one. By any chance, we don't have that already here, somewhere? Had no time to read all the forums and old posts. Alone when I see all those subject lines my curiosity starts to play like a entire big band of crazed psycho's. Emphasis on crazed :D
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:16 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
I think he means this one ed2k: Monday.Divx.by.dRuNkEn!m.avi  [688.23 Mb] [Stats] haven't found subs for it yet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:01 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
yeah, that's the one. think subs are at kloofy's? if not then I can up them to my site.