Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:08 pm  Post subject: Touch of Death (1988)

The Ancient One
Touch of Death (1988)
Directed by: Lucio Fulci

Plot Outline: Lester Parson (Brett Halsey) is a lonely gigolo who dates and kills off middle-aged women in ultra-gory fashion just for the pleasure of watching them die, as well as to take their money and jewellery as well as cook and eat their remains for his dinner.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095941/

AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: Touch.of.Death.1988.DVDrip.Xvid-Slayer.avi
Filesize.....: 1,460 MB (or 1,495,396 KB or 1,531,285,504 bytes)
Runtime......: 01:21:04 (145,783 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 2321 kb/s
Audio Codec..: ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc
Audio Bitrate: 192 kb/s (96/ch, stereo) CBR
Frame Size...: 720x544 (1.32:1) [~37:28]

ed2k: Touch.of.Death.1988.DVDrip.Xvid-Slayer.avi  [1.43 Gb] [Stats]

imdb wrote:
"The name is Parson, Lester Parson. That's right, almost like a person. But not quite."

Such a strange little, gory Fulci movie. Lester Parson is a sadistic serial killer with a gambling problem. He also talks to his shadow by pressing play on a tape recorder. His shadow talks back with advice and words of wisdom. Yes, this is a freak of a movie which is why I like it so much. Of Fulci's later movies, Touch of Death is definitely one of his best. It has some decent gore and is short and sweet(82min). Most of the clips from Fulci's Cat in the Brain film were taken from Touch of Death.

This movie is only for Fulci fans. It might be considered crap by normal folk.

Filesize is a bit odd, because this is my first release which is 1/3 DVD size.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:32 am  Post subject:

Movie Mod
Moved to low quality due to bad cropping on the right side.
Will stat this when I get home, so thanks a lot for this rip. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:13 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
That cropping thing is really getting to me :wacky:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:33 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Is this really a DVD rip? The quality of the images isn't very good.
If I didn't know better I had guessed it is recorded from a VHS.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:52 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
According to DVD Delirium both the EC Entertainment and Shriek Show releases are appaling transfers, so apart from the cropping :roll: this is probably about as good as it gets. Will be grabbing when I get back on line fully
:beerchug:
btw Slayer is it from the Shriek Show DVD if so any chance of ripping the extras :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
No, sorry man, it's the EC Entertainment DVD.

@ RedVeil: lots of films from the '80s or older have bad transfers. Sometimes it's the source, sometimes the transfer itself which makes it look like an old tape from a trashbin in the back end of an alley in an abandoned town.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:10 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
It's a pity. :(

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:07 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
On the bright side: this is the best you can get. The only better thing is to buy the DVD.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:12 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Slayer wrote:
On the bright side: this is the best you can get. The only better thing is to buy the DVD.

I disagree, no offence :o

What are you ripping with? AGK?

Try gordian knot, you can crop manually & with some filtering you can remove the grain & sharpen the picture. Spud & Lux helped me figure it all out & the filtering is easy to apply but its always good advice to get input from experienced rippers so you release something that you'd want to download yourself rather than just another lower quality rip.
For filtering advice talk to Lux if spud hasn't got the time to help you :wink:

Example of what filtering can do: http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... 077#164077

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:29 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
BadBugs wrote:
Slayer wrote:

I disagree, no offence :o

OK, none taken ;) Of course you're right, I should have added "for now".

I'm ripping with AGK now, I'm a little lazy sometimes in that department. I know that it is not the ideal attitude according to some, but it was already a big step for me to upload anything at all. Using GK and having to figure out lots of stuff I don't know shit about might take the fun out of it or me. I'm not sure, maybe I will do it someday.

Until now most of the rips I posted were good enough. The only ones I remember that were low quality are Carnage Road, Succubus (my first two), The Brain Eaters and this one. All others (14 in total up to now) are good enough.

Btw: when I play the file on my PC in MPC for example, I don't see the black bar on the right side like you see them in the screens. Why is that?

PS: some parts of this post sound a little pathetic, it wasn't meant that way ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:57 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Try my guide: http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=15117

I believe you can do it, dont copy the pictures like that last stoner did, follow the instructions as the pics are there only as an example :lol:

The first couple of times were tricky & confusing but now I've used it a few times I'm finding it dead easy to use & I mean dead easy. All youre doing is manually setting the parameters that AGK does but youre making sure its precise.

The filtering is the hard bit, deciding which filters to use, (so I usually ask lux for help) but that only means editing the .avs script that GK uses to encode its final rip.

If youre gonna try filtering too, use chopperXP to cut a small sample from your vob & test that with the filters until youre happy & then use those filters to encode the film.

Give it a go, its not as hard as you have been led to believe ;)

I dont use MPC so cant answer that question. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:57 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Like I said: maybe I will, but not on short notice. Maybe when I have some weeks off (I have that sometimes, the brightest side of being a teacher ;)) I'll dive into it. Maybe next Xmas, I don't celebrate that anyway.

About taking out the grain of pictures etc. I didn't know that was possible. I read about people talking of filtering but didn't have any clue to what that could be :lol:

If you don't use MPC you should start doing that now! It's the easiest and the best media player I know of and it's free too. I have had only some cases in which MPC could not play a file and VLC (my backup media player) could.

I just checked again, and both in VLC and in MPC there's a small strip visible, it seems smaller than in the screens though.

Conclusion: I'll keep using AGK for now, maybe switch to GK in the future (don't know if, or when).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:14 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Slayer wrote:
About taking out the grain of pictures etc. I didn't know that was possible. I read about people talking of filtering but didn't have any clue to what that could be :lol:

It would seem you can do almost anything with filters, go take a look at Luxes Ripping & Encoding FAQs... loads of screenshots of unfilterd/filtered rips with applied scripts.
I dont know how they work but they do a damn fine job of cleaning up crappy sources :mrgreen: