Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:52 am  Post subject: Dampyr (2005-ongoing)

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
Kind of back from kind of being away :mrgreen:

Now I could possibly blab for hours about the advantages of having a good, balanced cooling system, about how great a certain Gigabyte cooler is or how comfy certain Chieftec towers are, but I don't think anybody'd be interested in that :) So instead here's a comic book I've already blabbed about, but never had a chance to post the links:

Title: Dampyr
Writers: Mauro Boselli & Maurizio Colombo (#1 & 2), Mauro Boselli (#3), Maurizio Colombo (#6)
Artist: Majo (#1, 2 & 6), Luca Rossi (#3)
Covers: Ashley Wood
Translation from Italian: Goran Marinic (#1-3), Corinne Davier (#6)
Publisher: IDW (for America), Strip Art Features/Bonelli (originally)
Years: April 2005 - (ongoing; started monthly in April)
Issues: 3 (ongoing, I will be posting others as they come out)
Scanned by: SaintMalaclypse (#1-3), Oroboros (#6) of DCP

Short Synopsis: Haunted by nightmares, a young man named Harlan Draka wanders the countryside of a central European war-torn country, shamelessly making money pretending to be a dampyr (half human/half vampire) and ridding villages of what the naive people believe to be "evil vampires" (his usual MO being first telling the peasants that all their trouble are the resulat of a malevolent doings of a vampire, then digging out the freshest corpse on the grave site, piercing its heart with a stick and having his sidekick collect the payment). However, this merry existence takes a turn for worse, when he is summoned, and quite unceremoniously at that, by a group of soldiers, who appear to be under attack by what seems to be real vampires... But what can poor Harlan do, after all, he is only a fraud, isn't he...?

Covers (downsized to ~20% size of the scans):
Image Image Image

Links:
ed2k: Dampyr.01.Devils.Son.(2005).(SaintMalaclypse-DCP).cbr  [21.15 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Dampyr.02.Night.Tribe.(2005).(SaintMalaclypse-DCP).cbr  [23.10 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Dampyr.03.Sand.Specters.(2005).(SaintMalaclypse-DCP).cbr  [16.46 Mb] [Stats]
NOT YET AVAILABLE
NOT YET AVAILABLE
ed2k: Dampyr.06.Lamiah.(2006).(Oroboros-DCP).cbr  [26.26 Mb] [Stats]

As before, those will be put on PowerShare, until I upload about 100-150MB of each, at which point I'll move to other files that I have coming. Everybody should get them with ease though, as they should have some more sources by now.

Additional Links:
Italian Publisher: http://www.safcomics.com
American Publisher: http://www.idwpublishing.com
IDW's Dampyr article: http://www.idwpublishing.com/?path=news ... 1f85e79348
IDW's Dampyr page: http://www.idwpublishing.com/?path=titl ... tle&id=103
A short Dhampir entry at wikipedia.org: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhampyr

Notes about the story:
One of the interesting things is that though the action takes place in today's world, first in what appears to be Yugoslavia and then in what can't be any place other than England, absolutely NO country whatsoever is named. Likewise, no dates are mentioned and though none about the setting is hard to guess, it makes for an interesting trivia.

Notes about the character:
Yes, dhampirs [sic] we all know and seen them in many media. Whetever it be Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D (which for those few, who don't know it, I can wholeheartedly recommend), BloodRayne's Rayne, Marvel's bastardization called Blade or the half-damned from White-Wolf's RPG, it seems that the Romanian-born half-human, half-vampire has sunk its half-fangs deep into the pop-culture. This one sticks to the original legends a bit more than most and at least the beginning and the origin story looks a bit more believable, specially considering the surroundings.

Notes regarding the book itself:
This might not be to everyone's liking. This is a typical Italian comic book, unlike the most common American, each is 96 pages in Black and White - if you like Italian comics like Dylan Dog and the likes, this one's for you. Also the transaltion leaves a bit to be desired, though I don't think it's the translator's fault, but rather the resulat of a different language structure and the differerences between each language's colloquial speach. You might get the impression that certain words get overused and the dialogs might seem a bit forced. All these, however, do not take anything from the reading, and the saga (so far, 5 books were published by IDW in English) offers a rather interesting, fresh, vampire stories, even though they are not that original. :wink:

And on a final, but the most important note:
Just like with any other release, I urge everybody who liked it, to consider buying the book itself. Free scans are a great thing and they can last forever (or as long as the drive will live), but the real book is an experience, which nothing can beat... And as everybody knows, the publishers, specially the independent ones like IDW, can really use the money - even if the book stands $7.99 (but it's still less than $0.09 per page, not even counting the covers).

[ Add all 4 links to your ed2k client ]

Last edited by Union.Simon.616 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:11 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I can only second this recommendation. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:17 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Thanks Simon.

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:40 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
thx ! :mrgreen:

When you can feel it in your chest, taking over your body and soul, this is when you understand the power of dub.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:48 pm  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
Well, another year, another issue added :mrgreen:. Pity 2 in between are still not available.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:31 am  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
I have all Dampyr comics but original books :mrgreen: