Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:04 pm  Post subject: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

The Ancient One
Don't get me wrong. The title is sarcastic. :D It's just my opinion on torrents towards all the newbies who came here and wanted to turn this site into a whole torrent section.

My experience shows me that torrents are fast and DEAD. :roll:

You can ultra rapidly leech a new release than be happy and ultra rapidly remove it from your hard drive. This is what people seem to do. I mean look at the reshare request on pirate bay. No one ever replies to them. People keep on bumping their own threads, because they can't finish downloading movies...

See for yourself: http://suprbay.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Best example: http://suprbay.org/showthread.php?t=27088 :twisted:

Additionally all people I've met in my private life using torrents are fucking leechers too. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Demon Of The Abyss
Dunno why he needs 'Anger Management', he seems to be keeping himself under control quit good. :googley:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Dead But Dreaming
Public trackers are really bad for retention and complaining. I very rarely use them anymore. Private sites do a little
better due to the community that exists behind them. If you ask for a reshare on KG, some one is usually happy to
fill the request. The credit systems on private sites have worked okay for me. But then again, I generally don't
leach to excess. I've only ever been thrown off one site due to a bad ratio.
The way I look at DL movies (or anything for that matter) is that you can use all these different types of
sources to find what you're looking for. If I found a movie on emule that I was looking for I will click on it
and not think twice about the speed. I'm just happy was able to find it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I use mostly ed2k, but also torrents. Each of them has good points and I don't see replacements for these:

You want to download untouched BlueRays or HDDVDs that were released 20months ago? -> torrents (private trackers)
Rare/Old untouched DVDs -> torrents (private trackers)
DVDs/HighDef (untouched or encoded) -> newsgroups
Quality and/or rare DVDRips -> emule

There are exceptions, but if you are interested in all the things listed above, you are probably using emule, torrents and newsgroups.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

The Ancient One
I use a mix of eMule and torrent. eMule is great for obtaining anything, but it tends to be slower. Torrents are generally very fast, but also short lived.

I have stated the obvious, but that is just how it is.

I do try and pay back a decent amount though, overall I am probably about even. It is hard though when my connection is so stupidly unbalanced. 20meg down and 768k up, fucking joke really.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 am  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Dead But Dreaming
TaKYoN wrote:

I do try and pay back a decent amount though, overall I am probably about even. It is hard though when my connection is so stupidly unbalanced. 20meg down and 768k up, fucking joke really.

Good grief that is a fat pipe! I mean, I think I'm lucky to get 1.5Mb down and maybe 100K up. Are you
sitting on a T3 or something?

But you're right, no matter how you slice it, the up is so much less than the down. I wonder why that is?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:41 am  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Site Admin
I guess this ties in with this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18527

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:09 am  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Site Admin
elguaxo wrote:
I use mostly ed2k, but also torrents. Each of them has good points and I don't see replacements for these:

You want to download untouched BlueRays or HDDVDs that were released 20months ago? -> torrents (private trackers)
Rare/Old untouched DVDs -> torrents (private trackers)
DVDs/HighDef (untouched or encoded) -> newsgroups
Quality and/or rare DVDRips -> emule

There are exceptions, but if you are interested in all the things listed above, you are probably using emule, torrents and newsgroups.

I'd argue that torrents aren't really needed; reposts generally mean that the untouched hddvds/blurays/hd streams get posted repeatedly; and there's just as much content posted regularly to newsgroups. So mldonkey i leave on all the time, but newsgroups gets me all scene, hd-dvd, dvdrs, and horror if i need it quickly or its just been released.

Just wish more people would utilise the nzb section because I realise i miss a vast amount of content.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

The Ancient One
Oberon wrote:
TaKYoN wrote:

Good grief that is a fat pipe! I mean, I think I'm lucky to get 1.5Mb down and maybe 100K up. Are you
sitting on a T3 or something?

But you're right, no matter how you slice it, the up is so much less than the down. I wonder why that is?

It is OK I suppose, not far pff an upgrade to 50 meg though, they will probably cut my upstream to 128k LOL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Site Admin
you must be talking cable, its capped, throttled and doesn't actually sync at 20mb. Fairly decent but the upload is lousy compared to the ADSL2+ providers.
Certainly beats Oberon's though :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Just wish more people would utilise the nzb section because I realise i miss a vast amount of content.

I've tried nzb but without any luck so far, biggest thing that bothers me is paying more money for access, the free one provided sucked or I sucked cause I couldn;t get it done :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Site Admin
i count it as part of my isp fee, since i used to get it free from my previous provider and i switched to a faster and cheaper ISP.

All isps should carry internal newsgroups, it would save them vast sums on bandwidth costs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:44 am  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Skull Full Of Maggots
85% i use emule, 15% other way of download. Emule rulez because it have all old/rare horror movies, with seeds. I use and i will keep use our ed2k system :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Blood Sucking Freak
I use cinemageddon 100% now. It is the best site I have been a member of. It makes you want to upload movies. Every movie I have ever wanted is on the (almost). I just put Hack o Lantern (1988) aka Halloween Night and Victims! (1985) up last night!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
you must be talking cable, its capped, throttled and doesn't actually sync at 20mb. Fairly decent but the upload is lousy compared to the ADSL2+ providers.
Certainly beats Oberon's though :lol:

I can get 20 meg easy from most websites if I am using less than about 80% of my upload. If I am uploading I cap it at about 75K, just wish I could often get 20meg on P2P.

The cap is not too bad, if I grab too much too quickly my speed gets chopped down for a few hours, no biggy, I just stagger my downloads if I have alot. TBH 3Gig in 4 hours is perfectly fine for me.

ADSL is just pathetic in my area, they still cannot guarantee more than 2meg here, although in reality most of the connections I have worked on around here that are ADSL need some tweaking to sustain 1 meg.

ADSL2 is nothing more than a dream here. IMHO the state of the BT network around here is just shit, you are lucky if you get a phoneline without constant hissing on it. Apparently we are now a low priority for the needed work, the latest ETA for it is now 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Site Admin
The cap is in the form of shaping; it will affect any constant utilisation rather than small utilisation.. you don't notice from websites because its stateless and very low load ;)

Its really annoying but unfortunately with many isps, cable or dsl, the shaping kicks in and your speeds drop + connection resets. Very annoying... takes all the benefits of the speed away :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Dead But Dreaming
TaKYoN wrote:

The cap is not too bad, if I grab too much too quickly my speed gets chopped down for a few hours, no biggy, I just stagger my downloads if I have alot. TBH 3Gig in 4 hours is perfectly fine for me.

So very jealous. And I honestly thought that my DL speeds were pretty good!
And to top it all off Time Warner got rid of it's newsgroups so now I don't even have
that anymore. Do you pay extra for a 'turbo-ized' connection or something?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Site Admin
na its standard cable in the uk now; they just get traffic shaped on p2p, constant http, nttp (non-ssl), ftp transfers and then slowed down in off hours... a lot isps are doing this. Some adsl companies are worse :(

There's two options really; ADSL or cable. Cable has maybe one deal and ADSL has standard slow ADSL and ADSL2+; however if you are far from an exchange cable is generally much better. I'm currently on 22 which works out more like 12 that i actually get, luckily i get 1.5 up which is more useful than more download for me :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Dead But Dreaming
spudthedestroyer wrote:
na its standard cable in the uk now; they just get traffic shaped on p2p, constant http, nttp (non-ssl), ftp transfers and then slowed down in off hours... a lot isps are doing this. Some adsl companies are worse :(

There's two options really; ADSL or cable. Cable has maybe one deal and ADSL has standard slow ADSL and ADSL2+; however if you are far from an exchange cable is generally much better. I'm currently on 22 which works out more like 12 that i actually get, luckily i get 1.5 up which is more useful than more download for me :)

Time Warner does offer a speedier package, but even at that the speed doesn't even touch your
transfer rates (up or down). I think the Turbo version was 15Mb down and 768K upstream. I tried
the turbo and I couldn't tell the difference so I nixed it. Looking at their web site I just noticed that
I should be getting 7Mb down and 512Kb up. I think I'm going to go do a little speed test...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrents are ultra fast and much better than ed2k...

Dead But Dreaming
..... Well I'll be damned:

I guess I haven't done a speed test in quite awhile. :D

Still, that ain't 20Mbs like you guys... *sniff*

Oh, Spud, I take it you do a lot of seeding or releasing of movies? Is that why you like
the fast up speeds?