Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:13 am  Post subject: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Devil, Probably

Jean-Marc Rocher on IMDb wrote:
During World War II, a small German squadron was assigned the task of carrying a shipment of Nazi gold across the African desert. Along the way, the squadron was ambushed by the Allies, and only one American soldier, Robert, survived. Years later, Robert tells his story to a German treasure hunter named Kurt, who promptly murders him. Robert's son, upon learning of his father's death, vows to travel to Africa and find the lost gold himself. While the desert is hazardous enough by itself, the dangers lurking around this oasis are more than any of the treasure hunters ever imagined.

---------------------------------------------- General --------------------------------------------
Complete name : L'Abime.Des.Morts.Vivants.[1981].DVDrip.ws.DivX+MP3.(french).avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 700 MiB
Duration : 1h 21mn
Overall bit rate : 1194 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2178/release
----------------------------------------------- Video ---------------------------------------------
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Bit rate : 1060 Kbps
Width : 480 pixels
Height : 304 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.579
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.291
Stream size : 622 MiB (89%)
Writing library : DivX 5.0.5 (UTC 2003-04-24)
----------------------------------------------- Audio ---------------------------------------------
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 121 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 70.8 MiB (10%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.60 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 467 ms
Writing library : LAME3.90.
Encoding settings : ABR

Image Image Image Image

Cast:
Manuel Gélin
France Lomay
Eric Viellard
Henri Lambert

ED2K download link:
ed2k: L'Abime.Des.Morts.Vivants.[1981].DVDrip.ws.DivX+MP3.(french).avi  [700.09 Mb] [Stats]

Thanks to:
whoever ripped this - for the rip

Notes:
The audio is French! There are currently NO subtitles available!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:52 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Ancient One
Wow, Franco zombie movies are always great! Shame about the audio... :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

Site Admin
no its not, its original language... just need english subs :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:56 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Ancient One
That's what I meant... :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:20 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Devil, Probably
would be good to get the spanish cut too
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:36 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Devil, Probably
Here's another one that compares the two versions: http://www.angelfire.com/darkside/realm ... ofcuts.htm
So the Spanish version is from 1983 is that correct? You can find that one on the Mule too, it's a 700 MB rip tagged with "[DVDRi".

I am still looking for subtitles though, won't give up that easy. :wink:

EDIT: You can actually watch the movie for free by following this link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6211161686

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:27 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

Demon Of The Abyss
Franco zombie flick?

This is a must have!

Darn.. I must clean my HD!!! :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:35 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

Master Of The Dead Donkey
RedVeil wrote:
I am still looking for subtitles though

Well, I have in my collection this movie, on DVD. The DVD that come with the Jess Franco Collection (NTSC R1), and it doesn't contain any subtitles, at all. So don't try to find subtitle on that DVD.
This edition : http://www.amazon.com/Jess-Franco-Colle ... 107&sr=8-1

But, it contain an English Mono sound track, as well as the french one, of course. Just no subtitle. :(

I don't know about others DVD Edition of that movie, but the NTSC R1 one that come from the Jess Franco Collection don't have any, just wanted to inform you and everybody else.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:04 am  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Devil, Probably
Thanks for the update!

I continued to search for English subtitles - found nothing. The only version with German subtitles that are not hard-coded seems to be CUT. There are lots of DVDs with French subtitles (sous-titres), but they also seem to be CUT with a runtime of 81 minutes. So it looks like this rip is also the CUT version and the AR of 1.579 is deep shit as the original has an AR of 1.66:1.

Further investigations coming soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:53 am  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

RedVeil wrote:
...seem to be CUT with a runtime of 81 minutes. So it looks like this rip is also the CUT version and the AR of 1.579 is deep shit as the original has an AR of 1.66:1.

For information, the one in that Jess Franco Collection I have is NTSC R1 with a 82 min. runtime and in AR 1.66:1.

This is what the front cover look like in that Box Set :
http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-Zombies-Man ... 557&sr=8-2

I don't know if this is the Cut or Unrated version , but if you look at the Amazon link to my edition, the description of the DVD is the same, at 82 min. runtime and it's written UNRATED. So i'm guessing that it's the Unrated version, but since I don't know what is cut or not in this movie, I can't tell myself. But if you look at DVDCompare, it's written : "R1 America - (Image Entertainment) - No cuts. "French version". Because there's an another version too, the original "Spanish version".

Anyway, it contain the right AR. For the subtitles, since it's all about that, well, no subtitles of any kind on this edition, good luck for finding some. But if you want it in english anyway, and you can't find it anywhere, PM me ! :wink:

I hope it help... :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:43 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Devil, Probably
Yes the UNCUT version is 82:29 long. Here's a list of German DVDs: http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassun ... vid=194549 (one of them is cut the others have "forced subtitles"). I wonder if they could be ripped of the DVD. However the German DVDs don't contain the original French audio. The French DVDs in turn only have French subtitles.

Image I would buy the french DVD with English and French audio tracks plus French subtitles. Now I would rip the subtitles and send them to you.
Could you then translate the subtitles to English for us EvilDeadlyImmortal? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:20 am  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

RedVeil wrote:
Could you then translate the subtitles to English for us EvilDeadlyImmortal? :roll:

:o I could try, since my english is bad as it seems, we'll see what it look like after ! But sure, I could try, just let me know how to do that when it will be the time, and which software to use for that. :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:37 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Devil, Probably
EvilDeadlyImmortal wrote:
RedVeil wrote:

:o I could try, since my english is bad as it seems, we'll see what it look like after ! But sure, I could try, just let me know how to do that when it will be the time, and which software to use for that. :P

Okay then. I will try to get a copy of the french DVD and rip the subtitles in SRT format. That way you would only need a text editor to translate them. I will check the translated version and correct possible mistakes. Thanks for it in advance my Evil buddy.

EDIT: Do you have an eBay account?
I found the probably uncut DVD here: http://cgi.ebay.fr/LABIME-DES-MORTS-VIV ... Cinema_dvd
However I would like to ask the vendor whether the actual length of the movie is 82:29. Do you have any chance to ask about this? I am unable to register at ebay.fr it keeps telling me: "Veuillez saisir les informations correctes dans les champs en surbrillance". However I don't see any field that is highlighted as wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:57 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

RedVeil wrote:
Thanks for it in advance my Evil buddy.

No problem !

RedVeil wrote:
Do you have an eBay account?

Yes, I have an eBay account, and sure I can ask that seller.

RedVeil wrote:
I am unable to register at ebay.fr

Well, man, stop right there, because you don't seems to know that your eBay account is universal, you can log in on ANY eBay web site, .com, .co.uk, .co.jp, .de, .fr etc...!!! Anyone !!! All you need to do is to open a session on the web site you want an item, add it in your 'My eBay' and if you want to see it in your own language setting, just open your 'My eBay' in your default web site. You don't need to register at different web site, you're .com account (or .co.uk one I guess) is for any web site too. I have a Canadian (.ca) account and I can log in any eBay web site and buy whatever I want, if the seller ship International of course !!! :wink: Know that you know that, enjoy ! :googley:

EDIT : I've contacted that seller, and he reply me that since it's New & Sealed, he can't check, but he said that the runtime is 81 min., and i've ask him if there was any rating on the cover, like Unrated or Uncut, and he told me no, so it's not written on the back cover 'Unrated' or 'Uncut' so... :?

I've check the title on DVDCompare and the MadMovies version from Europe is not listed, so I can't tell from there, and on DVDAficionado, it's there, with the cover, but the thing is that it's not written if this is a Uncut or Unrated version, either the runtime is not written.

EDIT 2 : Check out the runtime on those two DVD edition comparaison, strange because I don't know if it's because of the PAL speedup or not... :
http://www.wicked-vision.com/tabelle_ve ... php?ID=390

Last edited by EvilDeadlyImmortal on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:51 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

Demon Of The Abyss
There was a French/English dual audio version, uncut and in approx the correct AR doing the rounds a couple of years back, I should have it somewhere but can't lay my hands on it at present. I know AFR types frown on this but IMHO it is the best format as it pleases everyone, so long as the filesize is sufficient. I have this listed as being 576x352 with a bitrate of 1093 Kbit/s so that should be what you're looking for if someone can come up with the subs.

Last edited by George Tatum on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:52 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Ancient One
Wow, if you can find it and re-up it, you'll be my hero of the day, GT!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:07 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Devil, Probably
EvilDeadlyImmortal wrote:
EDIT : I've contacted that seller, and he reply me that since it's New & Sealed, he can't check, but he said that the runtime is 81 min., and i've ask him if there was any rating on the cover, like Unrated or Uncut, and he told me no, so it's not written on the back cover 'Unrated' or 'Uncut' so... :?

Thanks for all the effort! I wonder why he promotes the DVD with a runtime of 82 when in fact it's 81 minutes. :prat:
I suppose that it's the CUT version, because the German DVD with the CUT version also has a runtime of 81, whereas the UNCUT is 82:29.

GT, is there any chance that you can come up with subtitles?

If you search on opensubtitles.org you can find the Portuguese subtitles BUT they belong to the Spanish version of the movie called "La Tumba de los muertos vivientes". :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:51 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Ancient One
I have this one on DVD now, it's an R1. It doesn't contain any subs, but it has English and French audio streams. I can rip it, or just the English audio, if you guys want it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:55 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

The Ancient One
RedVeil wrote:
I suppose that it's the CUT version, because the German DVD with the CUT version also has a runtime of 81, whereas the UNCUT is 82:29.

Is your version uncut?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:18 pm  Post subject: Re: L'Abime Des Morts Vivants (1981) (aka Oasis Of The Zombies)

elchupacabra wrote:
Is your version uncut?

This is a difficult question, because it all depend on which version you want, because there's two version of this movie, the 'Spanish' version, and the 'French' version. Here's the comparaison from DVDCompare.net :

DVDCompare.net wrote:
CUTS:
◦R0 Spain - (Divisa Red) - No known cuts. Probably the original "Spanish version".
◦R1 America - (Image Entertainment) - No cuts. "French version".
◦R2 Germany- Astro - (Germany - Astro) - No known cuts.
◦R2 Germany- X-Rated (New Line Edition) - (Germany - X-Rated (New Line Edition)) - Yes, rated "FSK 16".
◦R2 Germany - (X-Rated KultDVD) - No cuts (FSK 18 -rated), probably the "French version" (81:57 min - PAL).
◦R2 United Kingdom - (Arrow Film) - No cuts. "French version" (81:57 min - PAL).

OVERALL: Draw
Difficult one. R2 German -release (from "X-rated", rated "FSK 18") has some extra-features, but has "forced" subtitles. R2 UK -release has few trailers, but R1 has additional French-track (no subtitles though). Finally, R2 Spanish -release contains the original "Spanish version", but doesn´t have English subtitles.

General notes about "French version" vs. original "Spanish version" (this movie was made in two completely different versions simultaneously, featuring a French and Spanish cast, respectively):
-"Spanish version" is approx. 2:32 min longer. The soundtrack on the Spanish version (credited to Pablo Villa) is completely different and much more effective. It is louder, and uses eerie organ music and "moans" instead of the bland electronic score on the "French version".
-There are 4 sequences which have been "re-filmed" for the "Spanish version", basically using the same story outline, but different actors (Lina Romay, Eduardo Fajardo, etc.). They are all longer (and better) than their English/French counterparts - totalling 21m 50s compared to 16m 08s (an additional 5m 42s overall).
1) The first is immediately after the opening credits and shows Lina Romay waiting outside the house in a jeep whilst Eduardo Fajardo tries to extract information about the location of the oasis from Robert's father before killing him. (Spanish = 6m 38s, English = 4m 04s).
2) The second is after about 30m and shows the arrival of the search party at the oasis. They set up camp and attacked at night by the zombies. Lina Romay is graphically killed and her intestines removed. Eduardo Fajardo escapes although he is bitten. The English/French version is nowhere near as graphic (a few brief shots of the zombies are the same in bother versions). (Spanish = 12m 07s, English = 9m 28s).
3) The third is after about 45m and is just a brief sequence in which Eduardo Fajardo wakes up in the jeep and walks off. In the English/French version the man wakes up in bed before getting up. (Spanish = 23s, English = 16s).
4) The fourth is shortly after the above sequence and shows Eduardo Fajardo laughing maniacally as he starts to turn into a zombie from the bite on his neck. He eventually falls convenietly onto a bed of straw before being burnt. There are several cut-away shots of the students watching this from the English/French version. (Spanish = 2m 42s, English = 2m 20s).
-After just over 60m there is a 3m 17s sequence of a couple of the students making love in their tent in the oasis (Inga and friend). This has been edited out of the Spanish print entirely.
There are 2 further brief sequences not in the Spanish version: 10s after 75m - the girl student (Inga) carrying a petrol can being grabbed by the ankles by a zombie emerging from the sand, and 7s after 76m in which the zombies surround her and bite her leg.
-One sequence lasting 46s of a series of shots of the zombies approaching, close-ups of worms on their faces, and shots of the oasis, is in a different place in the Spanish version (after 79m instead of 74m).
-Finally after 81m there is one extra shot lasting 12s in the Spanish version showing the zombies disappearing into thin air in front of the oasis.
-Of course the opening credits are completely different on both versions, although they last the same time - 1m 10s. The Spanish ones are in red lettering and play over a close-up of a zombie's face, whilst the English/French ones are in white lettering over a shot of the town. The Spanish print ends with 15s of additional credits after "Fin" which credit Jesus Franco as "montaje" and Lina Romay as "ayte. de montaje".
-The only other difference I noticed was the fact that there is more narrative voice-over during the war flashback sequence.
-To summarise then, the Spanish version has 22m 02s of footage not in the English/French version, but is missing 3m 34s of original footage and 16m 08s of alternate footage, giving a total difference of 2m 20s + 15s at end - 3s minor jumps = 2m 32s. (This info is from Francis Brewster/"Mondo Erotico").

This film is also known as:
- L' Abîme des morts vivants
-Der Abgrund der lebenden Toten
-Bloodsucking Nazi Zombies
-El Desierto de los zombies
-Grave of the Living Dead
-Oase der Zombies
-The Oasis of the Living Dead
-Le Trésor des morts vivants