Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:32 pm  Post subject: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
Hey Guys, I've fallen off the hardware path in recent years and was wondering what the current recommendations are for getting the best gaming PC built?

My several year old water cooled pc (E6600 Quad Core + Geforce 8800 1GB + 4GB Ram) still plays modern games quite well, my current one is AMD 9900 Quad Core + ATI HD 4800 (something or other) + 8 GB ram I fear won't be able to run the next year of games near full specs.

So whats the best cpu, ram, gpu, motherboard? What about SLI, is it best to get a top of the range card or two less powered ones?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:26 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Dead But Dreaming
PlayStation 4 with 16 GB RAM is coming soon! :jesus:

Alcohol and drugs is a real horror! RAP - Rare Amphetamine Power! PUNX - Picnic Under Niebhelm Xbox! DISCO - Dude Is So Cool Oldschool! ROCK - Revenge Of Cookie Kooks! The Dickies themes: Toxic Avenger and Killer Clowns From Outer Space. Funny playA(A)S. SPORT is dead! USA is dead! Eminem is dead! Life is dead! Dead is a full of life!
God bless all shitbusters!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Mod of the Living Dead
Did you build this Spud?

I've just build a new PC and it's pretty damn sweet :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
I did, its not super top line but it plays anything I throw at it. However, Rome 2: Total War is looming and it looks like a game I want to pay full spec so I'll likely be building something shortly after that comes out.

ps4, no thanks, i'll build a pc. Better games, more control, more power, more useful :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:19 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
Okay so I'm starting to spec out what I want this year: targets are to support 4k gaming (monitor upgrade will come later), and play the new series of AAA pc games coming up: Rome 2: Total War, etc. I'll probably watercool.

Please chip in with any suggestions/improvement, I'm in no rush so will update this post of the coming weeks

Case
Corsair Obsidian 900D
Looks very good:
http://www.corsair.com/900d
http://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_ob ... tAodIzgAnA

CPU
i5 seems to be better for gaming? The Intel Core i7-3820 gets good results however:
http://community.futuremark.com/hardwar ... sor/review

Motherboard
??

RAM
??

GPU
EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 (1x or 2x)

HDD
2xSSD (Samsung?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:11 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
Quote:
i7-3820

No need to go the socket 2011 route unless you want more than 4 cores (i.e. 3930K) or need the PCIe lanes for crossfire. For a single GPU gaming rig you're probably better off with socket 1155 (Ivy Bridge CPUs) or 1150 (Haswell CPUs). Technically, 1155 is obsolete but Haswell sucks when it comes to overclocking - you wanna overclock?

Btw. if you do want to buy socket 2011, wait untill September and buy a 4xxx CPU. They're around the corner. :)

EDIT: Overall budget?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
^Rogue^ wrote:
Quote:
i7-3820

No need to go the socket 2011 route unless you want more than 4 cores (i.e. 3930K) or need the PCIe lanes for crossfire. For a single GPU gaming rig you're probably better off with socket 1155 (Ivy Bridge CPUs) or 1150 (Haswell CPUs). Technically, 1155 is obsolete but Haswell sucks when it comes to overclocking - you wanna overclock?

Btw. if you do want to buy socket 2011, wait untill September and buy a 4xxx CPU. They're around the corner. :)

I intend to water cool, but never really bother with overclocking. Low noise/high power is what i want.

Quote:
EDIT: Overall budget?

Unlimited

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
For a single GPU setup, I'd probably get a 3770k. If you do want to encode, wait another month and get the 4930K (6 cores ftw). You can't go wrong with those. :)

GPU: The GTX 780 offers a way better price/performance ratio. Titan is for suckers. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:01 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
Looks like Titan waterblocks fit 780 GTXs:
http://www.xtremerigs.net/reviews/water ... ming-soon/

I've never done it before, but I'm thinking SLI so:

* Pump
Small Radiator
GPU
GPU
CPU
Larger Radiator
* Pump

In terms of cpu, what about the 4770k?

One thing i forgot to mention, i use linux so driver compatibility is a must.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:21 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
No clue about Linux. :)

The 4770K is a tad faster than the 3770K but overclocks worse. Since you don't want to overclock, you can get the 4770K or even the non-K version. Socket 1150 (4770) also gives you more SATA6 connectors via the chipset.

Personally I would not dick around with SLI but that's just me. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:22 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
Afterthought:

One 780 should be enough for pretty much everything unless you're running triple sceens bzw.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
^Rogue^ wrote:
Afterthought:

One 780 should be enough for pretty much everything unless you're running triple sceens bzw.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/15/4k-ga ... solutions/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:17 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
4k, seriously? :) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:34 am  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
^Rogue^ wrote:
4k, seriously? :) :lol:

Yeah, i want to have it last for a good few years :D Aim high, play well!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:31 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
No high end system really lasts long IMO. Basically, the stuff becomes obsolete the second you build your rig... :)

Anyway, taking into account the stuff that is available now, I would think you should probably have 2x780s for serious 4k gaming. Of course that means dicking around with crossfire profiles for games and so on. That's why I prefer single GPU solutions. But for 4K a single780/Titan will likely not be enough.

Whatever you wanna do: it may be a good idea to hold off buying and wait for the new AMD series in October. If noting else, the prices ought to drop. If you must buy now, I say go with one or two 780s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:32 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
ATI/AMD continuously let me down and their linux drivers are a war crime at best. They might have the console guys, but they can't make a driver to save their lives, and their cards become 'legacy' very quickly. In terms of timelines, Rome 2 and Batman Origins are approaching... i think my pc can handle both but probably going to suffer on the former.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:23 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
I wouldn't know about Linux but the Windows drivers work fine for me. Got a Hd6950 (AMD) and a GTX580 (Nvidia). Under Win7 both are fine.

But it seems to me like the 780 is the best choice for you. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:45 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
Okay, as expected rome 2 total war pretty much kills my pc :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:24 am  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
:D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:17 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
Found this build out:
http://www.maximumpc.com/quiet_gaming_pc_2013?page=0,0

Pretty modern and uses hybrid cooling.