Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:05 am  Post subject: emule

Dead But Dreaming
another question lol
since i have formatted i noticed that my emule d/l are real crappy
I used to d/l really quickly and most often I d/l alot faster than I uploaded but since the formatt I have noticed that I'm hardly d/l at all and when I do it's maybe 1 file at like 0.4kbs would this be a settings problem?

Thanks,
Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:13 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Did you backup your credit file? This gives you better ratios I think so all the data you have upped is recorded and you are rewarded on the base of how much you have shared.

This basically means you don't jump into people's queues as quickly, so you'll have to have emule running for a good few hours for the speeds to jump up. Visit the emule forums and see the thread in the first forum about optimizing emule also, make sure you get it set up right. Connect to Razorback or a major server and idle there for a while. Also ensure that you have completely disabled windows internal firewall which will give you a lowid (network>properties right click on your connection>last tab, uncheck firewall). In addition ensure you have your firewall correctly configured.

Make sure you haven't done a tackyon and your download is set to something that is proportional to your line (he set it at 4 kb/s [/me points and laughs])

Hope that helped track it down a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:21 am  Post subject: Re: emule

The Devil, Probably
Katya wrote:
I have noticed that I'm hardly d/l at all and when I do it's maybe 1 file at like 0.4kbs would this be a settings problem?

Could be a settings problem, but also pure coincidence. Currently I have a very low d/l and even u/l speed, too. And I did not change anything at all. Happens from time to time and noone seems to know why. I think I noticed a lower d/l when in germany are school holidays. -> fewer uploaders. Or perhaps it is just another windoze worm running rampant and eating bandwidth? Just wait a few days and see whether you d/l speeds changes by itself.

Another good test for you settings is to d/l a file with many 'x' in it. Ususally _these_ have always a good d/l speed. I wonder, why ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:26 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
spud what's the link to the emule forum?
also how is the hills have eyes spreading ready for me to release the 2nd one?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:00 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Katya wrote:
spud what's the link to the emule forum?
also how is the hills have eyes spreading ready for me to release the 2nd one?

*sigh* Ok i'll get it ;) :D
http://www.emule-project.net/board/inde ... opic=12031

Hills Has Eyes still shows some big red blobs for me, but i'm not running emule atm. I'll keep you updated when I get it running again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:05 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
:oops: sorry to be a pain in the ass :)
Thanks for your help I do appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:57 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I noticed that some firewalls significantly slow down eMule.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:46 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
It is recommended highly by the emule official site that you use Outcast or Kerio firewalls. The latter is highly recommended by me. (you can get it free, just google for it).

If your using zonealarm your a mad man/woman, its not recommended for p2p programs by anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:13 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
I'm using Norton Internet Security but I didn't back up my credit file so it will take awhile to build it up again I think

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:00 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
If your using zonealarm your a mad man/woman, its not recommended for p2p programs by anyone.

Actually using a personal firewall for security reasons is nonsens regardless the brand you are using. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:44 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Also pop along to http://www.dslreports.com/tools and http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp You may need a few tweaks to ya system after a format etc. The first link is especially good if ya have broadband.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:29 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
zone alarm works for me, and i often run 2 firewalls + some other security progs while on mule. I usually have black ice running as i like to see all the ip#'s listed out who are trying to connect and how/how often they try. not that i have anything besides emule stuff on this computer that i dont want people to get, just more out of curiousity. I notice 90% of the ip#'s are from germany, and quite a few from 200.75.8.52 - imedia.

i was helping my buddy out with his computer, he had no firewall/ad aware/anti trojan/anything. He had almost every spyware/adware/traking thing known to man and a couple dialers calling france. Every search he did got hijacked, and pop-up popped up even when he was off line. sad sad sad......
when i got home i just had to wash my hands before using my computer, they just felt so dirty after using his crapware'd breeding ground of a computer.'the trojan scanner said you have all of them'.

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:57 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
SOunds like my bro's PC, he does zero maintenance and has a CM and no firewall, no ports blocked nothing, He seems to be quite ocntent to format and reinstall everything every couple of months rather than spend a few minutes setting up some security and doing a little maintenance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:01 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
This is almost a reason to start a OS flame war...but noooo.
On the other hand...why not? My computer is with very short maintenance interuptions for more than a year 24/7 online. I do have a firewall, but only to kick unfriendly donkey users and access logging. Though I have seen several port scans I have never been successfully hacked. I won't say it is impossible to hack me, but from a hacker with such skills I don't think the simple packet filter firewalls could protect me. Guess what OS I am using ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:05 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
TaKYoN wrote:
SOunds like my bro's PC, he does zero maintenance and has a CM and no firewall, no ports blocked nothing,

Please could you explain me what port blocking is good for? A port with no connected service behind is harmless. The ports I have open have to be open. Would not make much sense to start my edonkey client and block the corresponding ports. I also could block port 25 in my firewall, but I think I would have to wait very long to get mail.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:44 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
[url]https://nanoprobe.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2[/url] should help ya out. TBH mate I am not really sure why it is better to have ports closed etc, but I know it makes ya more secure. My bro work sin the IT biz and pointed me to this site.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:49 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I do know that if ya ports respond to probes that will let a hacker know you are there and they can start hammering away at ya, you really should use the link above and it should say all ports are stealth, like mine.

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2003-07-13 at 20:47:01

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21, 23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
25 Ports Stealth
---------------------
25 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

That was just a quick test tho, you should really do more indepth tests. Not to mention the fact that someone could use ya rig to launch all kinds of naughty attacks like DDOS etc from ya system, and an ISP will often cut you off, even if you plead ignorance they will say it is your responsibility to make your system secure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:56 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
:-) I am working in the IT biz, too, and think this is wrong. As I said, a port with no service behind is harmless. A port with a firewall listening behing is a port which is susceptible to exploits of bugs in the firewall software. Of course, there are uses of firewalls (packet filters), i.e. if you need NAT or of you want to restrict certain services to certain IP ranges. But usually the primitive "one size fits all" stuff like zonealarm is rather endangering your system more than helping. But hey, if a firewall gives you a good feeling, no problem :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:07 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
TaKYoN wrote:
I do know that if ya ports respond to probes that will let a hacker know you are there and they can start hammering away at ya, you really should use the link above and it should say all ports are stealth, like mine.

Wrong. A port responding to a probe does not tell a hacker much. Usually he gets a "connection refused". This could mean that there is no deamon listening, or the deamon does not accept his connection attempt, so it could mean anything. If you are hiding your ports it means there is something, but it is hidden. Hope you have no bug in your firewall software.

TaKYoN wrote:
That was just a quick test tho, you should really do more indepth tests. Not to mention the fact that someone could use ya rig to launch all kinds of naughty attacks like DDOS etc from ya system, and an ISP will often cut you off, even if you plead ignorance they will say it is your responsibility to make your system secure.

To do this the hacker has to get into my system first. To prevent this the usual firewalls are by far to inefficient. A constantly updated and watched system is by far more secure than one with stealthed ports.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:20 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
ah, firewalls, closed ports, stealthmodes, etc. are all a good thing. Maybe wargand is good computer/os/hackmeister general, or just lucky. I only know very little about hacking/firewalls/accessing others computers, but i still will say, better safe than sorry! I've had sneakies on my computer before, i usually would not care, as long as they dont do destructive stuff. But its like having a party at someone you dont knows house, 'so what if we ruin the carpet/knock a wall down!'.FIrewalls, trojan scanners, closed ports, are all good, they can at least keep low level hackers out. Someone looking for open computers can do blocks of them at a time, minimizing yourself as a target more than likely the semi-hacker will be attracted to the computer with no defenses at all. Of course nothing is hackproof. that Fluffi Bunny got into like everywhere, especially the secure sites.

I know zone alarm has some rather serious problems/access issues for people looking who know what to look for, thems the breaks. i have it on stealth mode, no pings return. I try to stay as little as a target as possible, but when someone wants in, more than likely they CAN get in, eventually. This way more than likely they'd just go after some AOL user.

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'